Military Families

Featured Posts
Apollos82
Should the VA pay for In Vitro?
October 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/10/10/2723714/families-ask-va-to-pay-for-in.html

I'm mobile, so I cannot make the link clicky, I apologize.

I was just curious about your thoughts on this topic...

Replies

• Apollos82
    October 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    I am blessed with an 8 year old step son and this pregnancy is my first.

Because of our fertility issues and my body's inability to tolerate hormonal BC, this will most likely be our last. I'm 30, so age is a factor in that choice as well. This pregnancy has been hard on my body.

I've heard horror stories about hysterosalpingograms. I refused it, because of my situation. It didn't seem to be in my best interest, and I knew it would make my cysts hurt horrifically. It was certainly a good call for me, because shortly after I began taking Maca Root supplements, the cysts cleared on their own, and I got pregnant.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

I've heard they're very painful but luckily I've never gone through it. I will say that the test that hurt the most was the hysterosalpingogram. Worst. Feeling. Ever. How many kids do you have? I've got two and was diagnosed with secondary unexplained infertility between 1 and 2 and again after 2 trying for 3. 

Quoting Apollos82:

Life can be such a bitch some times. Especially when things like this happen. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My first husband was sterile and would do nothing about it for years. That caused some pretty serious heart ache and even self-esteem issues in my life. When I married my current husband, we started trying right away, but I developed ovarian cysts of an unknown cause. It wasn't until I took matters in to my own hands with eastern medicine and herbs that I finally got pregnant, after several large cysts ruptured. (Ouch!)

Infertility is what it is, and there is often to rhyme or reason for it--but I hate it. It not fair whatsoever.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

We've been bitch slapped in the face a lot over the years. About 3 years in and $15,000 later I ended up pregnant but it was a month after I stopped Clomid/HCG and IUI's. Go figure! Then we tried for 3 more years and nothing. I'm 36 now..too old so I'm just waiting for the feeling to go away.
    Funny how life works sometimes.
    Quoting Apollos82:

I'm sorry you struggle(d) with infertility. I have had my struggles as well.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Like most everyone who's answered I say yes, but only if the issues occurred because of something work related.

I'm the spouse who went round and round with fertility issues and the only thing covered for us was testing. We had to pay for medications and procedures ourselves.

• Apollos82
    October 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Your situation and ones like it are why I believe any form of fertility treatment should be offered, specifically based on needs of the family involved.

Simple AI is not feasible in every case. For only that procedure to be covered is not a fair or respectful handling of situations that are bound to be extremely diverse.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Interesting. My DH has it in writing that his infertility is service-related. We would actually need the ICSI procedure, though. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. 

• daevans
    by daevans
    October 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    I just honestly feel so bad for the couples who aren't able to have children.
    I told my husband, that when we are done having kids that I would like to become a surrogate. I don't know the feeling of not being able to have a baby, but I couldn't imagine my life without my kids.
    On another note, with being a wife of an active duty service member, are you "allowed" to become a surrogate?
  • LuvAZmomma
    October 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I see more justification is helping with adoption expenses than IVF. let face it there are tons of children that need loving homes already not to mention whatever the government pays them in adoption assistanse they probably save way mroe by not needing to care for that child that was once unwanted but now has a loving family and a home.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

I agree that it should be if it's from a military related injury. I was going to say no otherwise, but then it occurred to me, don't they reimburse so much for adoption expenses? (I honestly don't know, I thought I heard they did, but I'm fuzzy on the details.)

If they pay for adoption expenses, then I can see some justification to at least offsetting the fertility expenses...

• LuvAZmomma
    October 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Yes you are allowed to become a surrogate in fact there are a ton of military wives that becomes surrogates. Unsually it is paid by an outside insurance not tricare, tricare does cover surrogacy but it is a big legal issue. I am a surrogate and everyone that my husband works with knows about it we have not had any problems. If you would like more information on becoming a surrogate I would be more than happy to share my experience with you.

Quoting daevans:

I just honestly feel so bad for the couples who aren't able to have children.
    I told my husband, that when we are done having kids that I would like to become a surrogate. I don't know the feeling of not being able to have a baby, but I couldn't imagine my life without my kids.
    On another note, with being a wife of an active duty service member, are you "allowed" to become a surrogate?

• GoddessBaker
    October 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I agree....this.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I think yes, but it should be a case by case basis.  Is needing this procedure due to something that directly happened to the vet while active?  Yes. 

If not, no.

• TippyD
    by TippyD
    October 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

adoption is great and all but not for everyone. my husband and I when we were dealing with our fertility issues, both agreed we would rather pay out money for a surrogate and as many IVF attempts as needed then have an adopted child. we have NEVER had a desire to adopt. and still dont have any desire to have a child that is not ours living with us... there are more intricate details that deal with emotions,etc that dont need to be shared, but this annoys me... not every should or can adopt.. my sister, she is in the process of adopting.. it has ALWAYS been her hearts desire to adopt at least one, if not more kids.. I have always wanted to be big and pregnant, etc,etc.. NEVER had any desire to care for someone else's kids... even when it might have been our only option to have a kid.

Quoting LuvAZmomma:

I see more justification is helping with adoption expenses than IVF. let face it there are tons of children that need loving homes already not to mention whatever the government pays them in adoption assistanse they probably save way mroe by not needing to care for that child that was once unwanted but now has a loving family and a home.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

I agree that it should be if it's from a military related injury. I was going to say no otherwise, but then it occurred to me, don't they reimburse so much for adoption expenses? (I honestly don't know, I thought I heard they did, but I'm fuzzy on the details.)

If they pay for adoption expenses, then I can see some justification to at least offsetting the fertility expenses...

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN