Military Families

Featured Posts
vonnielopez
National Guard school benefits?? Not happy with the outcome!!
October 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

My son is in the National Guard and at the time of signing up he was offered a lot of good stuff. He even received a symbolic check for $40,000 for school. Then when he decided to go to school, reality and true colors came out. He did not qualified for G.I. bill post 911 after he was told that he would. Now he only qualifies for for Montgomery G.I Bill. I don't consider this fair, the recruiters pushed so much for him to sign in and me to sign papers. This is the way he was paid, I'm not happy for turning over my son to the military and they pay him this way. Not fair at all!! Has any body else been thru this situation? Please let me know. Thank you!!

Replies

• usmclife58
    October 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I would not "blindly" sign my child away, even at 17. Like Sailor said, this is the age of information. There is no reason to be ignorant. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

if she had to sign he is only 17.

not yet an adult, and  honestly if your child was 17 and joining and was lied to you would be pissed off too.

• Apollos82
    October 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Are you mobile? I keep getting pop up ads on my iPhone for some damned coast guard show. It's probably subliminal messaging. They want so badly to be military. It's cute. ;)

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

I'm not being a smart-ass...I think I missed something. I didn't see anything about CG. Just NG. Did a comment get deleted or something?

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

Sorry to the CG ladies, but I couldn't resist.
  • edelweiss23
    October 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    I thought I was the only one getting those ads!!!!

Quoting Apollos82:

Are you mobile? I keep getting pop up ads on my iPhone for some damned coast guard show. It's probably subliminal messaging. They want so badly to be military. It's cute. ;)

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

I'm not being a smart-ass...I think I missed something. I didn't see anything about CG. Just NG. Did a comment get deleted or something?

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

• Apollos82
    October 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    It's not a "recruiting ploy."

How is a recruiter supposed to know if someone will be called to AD from reserve or not? That's what quals someone for Post 9/11 vs MGIB: AD service. His recruiter had no way of knowing of he would or would not see active duty.

Quoting gunsgirl:

it is a recruiting ploy, and is used by a lot of reserve recruiters

your son will be elegible for the Post 9/11 GI bill after he has been in a while. NOW  he can use the MGIB and later when elegible use the Post 9/11 bill. the difference between the 2 is small, the MGIB pays the SM, and the SM then pays for tuition and books, the P911 pays tuition directly, gives 1,000 dollar a year book stipend and a housing allowance, however, the difference can be negligable based on actual tuition costs.

• Apollos82
    October 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Oh, Gosh. They're killing me!!

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

• edelweiss23
    October 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    It's a great show, but the ads are driving me nuts.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

• Apollos82
    October 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    I'm going to avoid the show on principle. Those damned ads are enough to drive me crazier.

Quoting edelweiss23:

It's a great show, but the ads are driving me nuts.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

• violinjewel
    October 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    I get them too!

Quoting edelweiss23:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

I read it wrong.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting cocoroo:

• gunsgirl
    October 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

actually the 40,000 dollar fake check is the "ploy" and routinely used to lure young adults into joining.  this was just on one of the news programs, on how recruites were using this tactic.

I also have a freind who is a recruiter for a different branch that is next to a NG recruiter, and he personally hears NG recruiters tell the potential recruits that they will get 40,000 dollars when they join to go to school.

and very seldom do they tell them that it is for the GI Bill, only that it is is for school.

so they have no information to go home and check on, and not all americans know about the GI BILL.

Quoting Apollos82:

How is a recruiter supposed to know if someone will be called to AD from reserve or not? That's what quals someone for Post 9/11 vs MGIB: AD service. His recruiter had no way of knowing of he would or would not see active duty.

Quoting gunsgirl:

your son will be elegible for the Post 9/11 GI bill after he has been in a while. NOW  he can use the MGIB and later when elegible use the Post 9/11 bill. the difference between the 2 is small, the MGIB pays the SM, and the SM then pays for tuition and books, the P911 pays tuition directly, gives 1,000 dollar a year book stipend and a housing allowance, however, the difference can be negligable based on actual tuition costs.

• nelopyma
    October 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Quoting gunsgirl:

actually the 40,000 dollar fake check is the "ploy" and routinely used to lure young adults into joining.  this was just on one of the news programs, on how recruites were using this tactic.

I also have a freind who is a recruiter for a different branch that is next to a NG recruiter, and he personally hears NG recruiters tell the potential recruits that they will get 40,000 dollars when they join to go to school.

and very seldom do they tell them that it is for the GI Bill, only that it is is for school.

so they have no information to go home and check on, and not all americans know about the GI BILL.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting gunsgirl:

I get so tired of hearing this.  We expect people to read contracts when they buy cars, right?  When they lease apartments?  When they take out loans for college?

Then why aren't they expected to do so when they enlist into the military?  Don't give me that "but they didn't KNOW!"  Do a freaking google for GI Bill, and up pop a million or so links.  You can find out.

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN