ambermarie2006
Tiger Cruise
September 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Has anyones child done a Navy Tiger Cruise? DS wants to do one after the next deployment with DH but I am a bit apprehensive about it. Any insight?

Replies

• ambermarie2006
    September 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    I may have to concede to DH lol. He really wants DS to go because it may be his last chance for awhile since DH is going shore duty pretty soon.

Quoting KWnavywife:

Mine were way too young last time my husband deployed but his dad went on one. It would definitely be a very memorable experience for him.

• sailorwifenmom
    September 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    No, you have to have a Sailor on that specific ship and been on that specific cruise. Space is pretty limited and that Sailor that sponsors you assumes all responsibility for you, so they limit it.

But if you have some Navy friends who are on a ship, the next time they do a tiger cruise (or, if they aren't deploying soon, ask about a family cruise - those are 1 day and they don't just do those after deployments). They could take your son :-)

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Okay, so being we are a Marine family, could my son go with my DH at any time? Or would my DH have to have been deployed on that particular ship? I guess I'm asking if it's only for navy families and their friends.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Sort of - you actually don't have to be a family member, friends can go, too. The only ones who are flat out not allowed are significant others of a crew member (as I've heard it put, they don't want to turn it into "the love boat"...) If you're female, there has to be women Sailors onboard and if your particular Sailor is a male, one of the women have to "cosponsor" you. (Which is no big deal, one of the ladies in my dh's shop did it for our dd when she went - all it meant was she was who showed her where her rack in the female berthing was going to be, that sort of thing...)

But basically your Sailor puts you in for it, you fill out the paperwork, and if you're approved, you pay your money (the trip is free, but you pay for your food and stuff, so it's no expense to the Navy) and you fly over to whatever port they're picking the Tigers up at, and you sail home with them. When my kids did it, it was the 2 of them and my bil.

Lol - it's the ultimate "take your kid to work" day!

Because of my rate, I didn't go on a ship when I was in, and as a spouse, I can't go, but I've been joking with my ds that now that he's a Sailor, too, I want to be at the top of his Tiger Cruise list! :-)

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

I'd never heard of a tiger cruise? Sounds fun...is this only for navy families?

• sailorwifenmom
    September 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Forgot to add and for some reason it won't let me edit - but if your dh is a Marine assigned to a ship or like on a Gator Freighter, then they might be able to do it. I'm pretty sure the pilots that go out with the squadrons as "riders" (part of the deployment and on the ship but not ships company) can bring guests on the tiger cruise.

I hope your son can go!

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Okay, so being we are a Marine family, could my son go with my DH at any time? Or would my DH have to have been deployed on that particular ship? I guess I'm asking if it's only for navy families and their friends.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Sort of - you actually don't have to be a family member, friends can go, too. The only ones who are flat out not allowed are significant others of a crew member (as I've heard it put, they don't want to turn it into "the love boat"...) If you're female, there has to be women Sailors onboard and if your particular Sailor is a male, one of the women have to "cosponsor" you. (Which is no big deal, one of the ladies in my dh's shop did it for our dd when she went - all it meant was she was who showed her where her rack in the female berthing was going to be, that sort of thing...)

But basically your Sailor puts you in for it, you fill out the paperwork, and if you're approved, you pay your money (the trip is free, but you pay for your food and stuff, so it's no expense to the Navy) and you fly over to whatever port they're picking the Tigers up at, and you sail home with them. When my kids did it, it was the 2 of them and my bil.

Because of my rate, I didn't go on a ship when I was in, and as a spouse, I can't go, but I've been joking with my ds that now that he's a Sailor, too, I want to be at the top of his Tiger Cruise list! :-)

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

• DvlDogWfe
    September 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thanks! :)

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Forgot to add and for some reason it won't let me edit - but if your dh is a Marine assigned to a ship or like on a Gator Freighter, then they might be able to do it. I'm pretty sure the pilots that go out with the squadrons as "riders" (part of the deployment and on the ship but not ships company) can bring guests on the tiger cruise.

I hope your son can go!

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

• daijobu
    by daijobu
    October 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM

My oldest did one one when he was 14.  How old is your child? 

His dad took care of him while he was on board.  He loved it and hopes to do one this time, too. 

Your child will have a blast!

• daijobu
    by daijobu
    October 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

You have to be sponsored by someone on the ship. The only reason I couldn't go was because my youngest was barely too young to go.  Couldn't stay at home by himself at 7?  Crazy!  (just kidding).  However, my friend and her two kids went (boy and girl) and they all had a blast.