New York Moms

Wyldbutterfly
New York Mommas...Please check in and let us know you're all okay after Sandy!
November 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I'm more than fine here as we only got about 4 inches of rain over a few days in the Buffalo area.

I hope all of you are warm, safe and out of harms way!

Replies

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    November 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    We are on our 10th day with no power. Now they can't work because of the storm today. I have 2/3 of my kids sick and on breathing treatments ( thank goodness for the generator) I am sick
    And my dog literally dropped dead yesterday as she was playing. I am stressed and totally over this!!
  • Jillysmom
    November 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Everyone is in my thoughts. Glad to see everyine is safe. 

• connietrrll
    November 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Soon this will all seem like a bad dream to you ladies. I am so sorry for what you are going through, and can whole heartedly understand. My family is from the Binghamton area. In 2006 we lost our home due to a flood. We were evacuated for 5 days. Returned home, and immediately started out to help others. We never really took a look around our home. After almost 3 weeks my daughter said that her room smelled funny. She hadn't slept in there. We spent the first 5 nights at the shelter and then we stayed at the shelter that we helped at for almost 2 weeks. We only returned home and that was when we were told that the back end of our trailer was under water. Meaning the water was over the top of it! Needless to say we had to move immediately. We lost almost everything. From pictures of my Christmas ornaments to the clothes. We basically had to start all over. Thank God for FEMA and Red Cross! Then last year as you may have heard our area was hit with Lee and Irene causing severe flooding once again! Fortunately my family was not affected that time. Except emotionally. We were in constant contact because my oldest was not living at home during the first evacuation. So, he saw that our entire (very small town) was being evacuated and he was scared to death. We had no way of getting ahold of him because we did not have a cell phone at the time. My mother and grandmother watched in horror. So, this time it was a, keep your cell phones charged festival. LOL

I will be honest and tell you that there are going to be times in the near future that will make you just break down and cry, and even in the long term. When we moved, we did not realize that we were taking any Christmas ornaments, but we knew that we cleared out all of save-able items! We went to decorate and I had nothing. My son was 20 and I had ornaments from the year he was born. I also gave each child an ornament every year. So, all of those were gone. I had a collection of victorian houses that I set up every year. They were gone. Ornaments that my mom and Gram had given us and my kids, and our first wedding ornament all gone. I remember to hold it together. Looking at my daughter and she said what are we going to Mom? She was only 14 at the time! I said I really have no idea. Then my youngest son who was only 9 said does this mean that Santa won't come here? Then I lost it! That was the defining moment for me with the flood of 2006! How do you explain to a kid that did nothing wrong, went helped his neighbors in a time of true need, and was struggling with his own fears from seeing all that water, that Christmas may not happen! Miracles happen though. My husbands company pulled together and helped us out. We took out a small loan and had the kids pick out all the ornaments they want! And we ended giving them the Christmas they deserve!

So, I know this is long, and I am very sorry!

While I am glad that the Binghamton area was not hit again, I am so sorry for what you are going through. But, I wanted to let you know there are better times coming, and those days when you break down are all for the good also. Also remember to allow yourself to rely on your neighbors. You all need each other right now. No one can truly understand what you are going through like them!!!! God Bless ladies! Hugs and prayers for your friends and families!!!!!

Quoting SamMom912:

Thanks. I'm pretty depressed about everything. Hubby is run ragged. I'm at the end ofy rope

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting SamMom912:

Still suffering. Day 6 no power. Restoration date is we'd 11/7. Tons of trees down. Hubby working non stop. Sam is disaster from no structure and was crying today about how he needs the power back.

Hoping we have enough gas (shortage w crazy long lines) till power does come back for generator. I dropped my phone on Monday and had nothing to communicate with til Friday. We had 2 families staying with us during the day t and w and th... Fri they went elsewhere!

It's been crazy

I'm glad you are okay, for the most part. We were very worried about you and Sam!

Hopefully your power is back on before Wednesday!

• Cecelia712
    November 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    Wow, I am so sorry! Its rough w no power, especially w the kids sick. That's why I went to inlaws, it was too too cold here.
    I am really sorry about your dog! Was the dog old? Do you know why she died? That's just horrible.
    I hope things get better for you ASAP!

Quoting Bethy16:

We are on our 10th day with no power. Now they can't work because of the storm today. I have 2/3 of my kids sick and on breathing treatments ( thank goodness for the generator) I am sick

And my dog literally dropped dead yesterday as she was playing. I am stressed and totally over this!!

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    November 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    We have no where else to go unless I leave my remaining dog. And I am not leaving her. Lilly was only 7 and we have no idea. One minute playing the next gone. We are going on day 11 without power and now I am sick and have a fever. My son hasn't been in school for almost 3 weeks because we were on vacation the.week before this happened. Now we just got hit by a nor' easter and we have about 6 inches of snow. He was supposed to have a delayed opening but people who had their power restored all lost it again. I am sure some of the schools are back down again. I feel like i am living in the twilight zone!

Quoting Cecelia712:

Wow, I am so sorry! Its rough w no power, especially w the kids sick. That's why I went to inlaws, it was too too cold here.

I am really sorry about your dog! Was the dog old? Do you know why she died? That's just horrible.

Quoting Bethy16:

• Cecelia712
    November 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    I really am so sorry. You're having a horrible stretch of bad luck. I hope things get better for you. When do they say you'll get your power back?

Quoting Bethy16:

We have no where else to go unless I leave my remaining dog. And I am not leaving her. Lilly was only 7 and we have no idea. One minute playing the next gone. We are going on day 11 without power and now I am sick and have a fever. My son hasn't been in school for almost 3 weeks because we were on vacation the.week before this happened. Now we just got hit by a nor' easter and we have about 6 inches of snow. He was supposed to have a delayed opening but people who had their power restored all lost it again. I am sure some of the schools are back down again. I feel like i am living in the twilight zone!

Quoting Cecelia712:

Quoting Bethy16:

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    November 8, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    They have no idea and the power company has been less then honest about everything. Since the new storm messed everything up they have to get the schools and street lights powered back uP first.

Quoting Cecelia712:

I really am so sorry. You're having a horrible stretch of bad luck. I hope things get better for you. When do they say you'll get your power back?

Quoting Bethy16:

Quoting Cecelia712:

Quoting Bethy16:

• emanticoff
    November 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I lost power for 5 days and lost all my food. It was freezing. But that is nothing in comparison to what other people are going through. My mother-in law is still without power and her husband is in a wheelchair with diabetes. I am not understanding why over a 100,000 people are still without power and why there is no gas. My husband was in line for gas for 13 hours. It feels like a third world country. No gas, trees still down everywhere and on top of houses. People still without power, no food or shelter. I can't rap my head around this. It feels like things will never be back to normal. Now there is gas rationings. What do you girls think about it?

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    November 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    We got our power back last night after 11 days. The older kids go back to school today. We are going to try to get back in a routine but we will never be the same. My family in long beach lost so much. It was my grandfathers house and everything in the basement is gone. Their cars are totaled. We found a crack in our foundation that needs to be fixed in our house and we lost my beloved dog. It is going to take a very long time to get back to a new normal.

New York Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts