New Jersey Moms

bhwrn1
What to pay the babysitter? (PIOG)
by bhwrn1
February 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM

My oldest, 6 y/o, is on vacation from school this week. On Wednesday, we have a babysitter coming, a college student, to take care of him. She will watch him from 6:30am until about 3:30pm. The hardest thing she will have to do for him is get him drinks and lunch! He is very independent and very easy to handle. I have no idea what to pay her. I asked her what she wanted and she told me whatever I thought was good! Anyone have some thoughts on this? 

Replies

• Kim24kids
    February 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM

30 dollars? I haven't had to pay one in years so not to sure=)

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    February 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I have a feeling this is not enough. She will be with him for 9 hours. I was thinking more along the lines of $75 but wasn't sure if that was alright. I am trying to go by more of an hourly amount to see if it makes sense, but I don't want to give her $90 (10/hr) b/c I think that's too much.

Quoting Kim24kids:

• LoriAnn87
    February 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

I have a feeling this is not enough. She will be with him for 9 hours. I was thinking more along the lines of $75 but wasn't sure if that was alright. I am trying to go by more of an hourly amount to see if it makes sense, but I don't want to give her $90 (10/hr) b/c I think that's too much.

Quoting Kim24kids:

i think 75 would be plenty and that's how much i got when i babysat my friend's son for the day.

• reasopolialy
    February 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I usually don't use a sitter (when we go out, I will put my kids to bed early and just have my mom or sister come and hang out at the house), but when I do use a sitter (we have a high school girl who helps me out, but I occasionally leave her alone with the kids) we pay her $10-12/hour depending on how many kids we leave her with.  But anyone who is willing to watch all 4 of my kids alone has definitely earned the $12/hr because my children are a handful lol.   

Let me know how it goes because I am considering hiring a local college student to come watch 2 of my children in the mornings from 7:30-8:30 and then from 2:30-3:30 to cover the hours between when they get home from school and when I get home from work.  My friends mom watches them currently, but she is getting old and it is a lot for her to watch my youngest who has Cerebral Palsy.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Quoting Kim24kids:

• bergencounty
    February 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM

A Friend is a nanny in Bergen County, she said $15/hr is the standard. Check with your babysitter and ask her her rate. My son got $15/hr for yardwork.

As of July 24, 2009, the minimum wage rate in New Jersey is $7.25 per hour .

This site www.absolutebestcare.com/abs_babysitters.html  says the hourly rate is $12/15, sitters with special criteria $15/25.

http://www.sitters.com/provider_search.aspx?type=1&zipcode=07450

• meegs23
    by meegs23
    February 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I would assume $10/hour, but maybe skimmed off the top for a few days work? Is it just one day?

• chiquis
    by chiquis
    February 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Wow all these amounts seem big to me lol. I've NEVER had a sitter though so I wouldn't know. But I think 12 & up an hour is crazy. Esp for one kid! Thats more then min wage haha. My kids are usually watched by grandma and she gets paid in hugs and kisses lol jk. I usually give her food/spending money. Well when she accepts it.

• reasopolialy
    February 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I love it when Grandma is willing to watch my kids because its so much cheaper lol.  I pay my sitter $12/hr because I have 4 kids... an 8 year old and 3 year old triplets.  My youngest triplet has Cerebral Palsy and is completely dependent on others for everything.  If I only had one kid, I would definitely not be paying someone that much, especially if the child is independent and easy to handle.  My sitters earn the $12 an hour thats for sure... but for 1 kid all day, I would probably pay 9 or 10 an hour.

Quoting chiquis:

Wow all these amounts seem big to me lol. I've NEVER had a sitter though so I wouldn't know. But I think 12 & up an hour is crazy. Esp for one kid! Thats more then min wage haha. My kids are usually watched by grandma and she gets paid in hugs and kisses lol jk. I usually give her food/spending money. Well when she accepts it.

• Missy323
    February 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM

My aunt watches a little girl 1 day a week.  She is around a year old.  She watches her for 5 - 5.5hrs and gets paid $55.  That is what the mom was paying for daycare at a day care center.  I would think a little less than that per hour since he doesn't need that much care. 

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    February 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Yes, it's just the one day. She is coming tomorrow for the day to watch my oldest b/c he doesn't have school this week.

Quoting meegs23:

I would assume $10/hour, but maybe skimmed off the top for a few days work? Is it just one day?

New Jersey Moms