New Jersey Moms

bhwrn1
What to pay the babysitter? (PIOG)
by bhwrn1
February 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM

My oldest, 6 y/o, is on vacation from school this week. On Wednesday, we have a babysitter coming, a college student, to take care of him. She will watch him from 6:30am until about 3:30pm. The hardest thing she will have to do for him is get him drinks and lunch! He is very independent and very easy to handle. I have no idea what to pay her. I asked her what she wanted and she told me whatever I thought was good! Anyone have some thoughts on this? 

Replies

• Kim24kids
    February 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM

30 dollars? I haven't had to pay one in years so not to sure=)

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    February 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I have a feeling this is not enough. She will be with him for 9 hours. I was thinking more along the lines of $75 but wasn't sure if that was alright. I am trying to go by more of an hourly amount to see if it makes sense, but I don't want to give her $90 (10/hr) b/c I think that's too much.

Quoting Kim24kids:

• LoriAnn87
    February 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

I have a feeling this is not enough. She will be with him for 9 hours. I was thinking more along the lines of $75 but wasn't sure if that was alright. I am trying to go by more of an hourly amount to see if it makes sense, but I don't want to give her $90 (10/hr) b/c I think that's too much.

Quoting Kim24kids:

i think 75 would be plenty and that's how much i got when i babysat my friend's son for the day.

• reasopolialy
    February 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I usually don't use a sitter (when we go out, I will put my kids to bed early and just have my mom or sister come and hang out at the house), but when I do use a sitter (we have a high school girl who helps me out, but I occasionally leave her alone with the kids) we pay her $10-12/hour depending on how many kids we leave her with.  But anyone who is willing to watch all 4 of my kids alone has definitely earned the $12/hr because my children are a handful lol.   

Let me know how it goes because I am considering hiring a local college student to come watch 2 of my children in the mornings from 7:30-8:30 and then from 2:30-3:30 to cover the hours between when they get home from school and when I get home from work.  My friends mom watches them currently, but she is getting old and it is a lot for her to watch my youngest who has Cerebral Palsy.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Quoting Kim24kids:

• bergencounty
    February 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM

A Friend is a nanny in Bergen County, she said $15/hr is the standard. Check with your babysitter and ask her her rate. My son got $15/hr for yardwork.

As of July 24, 2009, the minimum wage rate in New Jersey is $7.25 per hour .

This site www.absolutebestcare.com/abs_babysitters.html  says the hourly rate is $12/15, sitters with special criteria $15/25.

http://www.sitters.com/provider_search.aspx?type=1&zipcode=07450

• meegs23
    by meegs23
    February 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I would assume $10/hour, but maybe skimmed off the top for a few days work? Is it just one day?

• chiquis
    by chiquis
    February 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Wow all these amounts seem big to me lol. I've NEVER had a sitter though so I wouldn't know. But I think 12 & up an hour is crazy. Esp for one kid! Thats more then min wage haha. My kids are usually watched by grandma and she gets paid in hugs and kisses lol jk. I usually give her food/spending money. Well when she accepts it.

• reasopolialy
    February 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I love it when Grandma is willing to watch my kids because its so much cheaper lol.  I pay my sitter $12/hr because I have 4 kids... an 8 year old and 3 year old triplets.  My youngest triplet has Cerebral Palsy and is completely dependent on others for everything.  If I only had one kid, I would definitely not be paying someone that much, especially if the child is independent and easy to handle.  My sitters earn the $12 an hour thats for sure... but for 1 kid all day, I would probably pay 9 or 10 an hour.

Quoting chiquis:

Wow all these amounts seem big to me lol. I've NEVER had a sitter though so I wouldn't know. But I think 12 & up an hour is crazy. Esp for one kid! Thats more then min wage haha. My kids are usually watched by grandma and she gets paid in hugs and kisses lol jk. I usually give her food/spending money. Well when she accepts it.

• Missy323
    February 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM

My aunt watches a little girl 1 day a week.  She is around a year old.  She watches her for 5 - 5.5hrs and gets paid $55.  That is what the mom was paying for daycare at a day care center.  I would think a little less than that per hour since he doesn't need that much care. 

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    February 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Yes, it's just the one day. She is coming tomorrow for the day to watch my oldest b/c he doesn't have school this week.

Quoting meegs23:

I would assume $10/hour, but maybe skimmed off the top for a few days work? Is it just one day?

New Jersey Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN