Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter You: Little Changes, Big Payoffs
August 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It has been said many times: little things can make a big difference. The Malcolm Gladwell bestseller The Tipping Point is all about this and explains it...the final part of the title is " How little things make a big difference." I see this all of the time with my mood. If I do a small thing, like put on a favorite sweater or listen to a perfect song, my gloominess lifts like that (insert finger snap). Same goes for Kiddo -- a small little discovery on the way home from school, like spotting a kitty sitting in a window, can turn an okay day into the best.day.ever.

There are a ton of little things we can do every day that can improve our lives ten-fold, heckadoo, million-fold. Okay, sure, playing the lottery is a small act that can make a big difference, but that difference isn't guaranteed, eh? Takes a bit of luck. These little things I'm thinking of require no luck and really no money. Just effort on your part to do it and reap the rewards that are awesometastic (I just made that word up).

-- Getting an extra hour of sleep. The majority of us are sleep-deprived. Adding in that little bit of sleep can not only make you feel less stressed, it actually helps your memory, keeps you healthy and even helps you lose weight.

-- Taking the stairs. Again, a simple little switcheroo, but if you are battling a few pounds or need to get your heart rate up more each day, take the stairs in the mall rather than the escalator or walk up three flights to the dentist instead of hopping on the elevator.

-- Turn off your phone when you are with your kids. Let go of the FOMO (fear of missing out). That hour you are playing My Little Pony or the bits of the afternoon you are walking through the park afterschool, just turn it off. That easy simple flip of a button lets you focus on your kids 100%.

-- Writing gratitude. Snag a little notepad or min journal and keep it by your bed. Before hitting the sheets (an hour earlier, remember), write down three things you were grateful for that day. Could be the fact you had good "green light" karma when driving to school this morning or that you were able to witness an amazing bonding moment of your older daughter helping her younger sister tie her shoes. This small little act will keep you centered on the goodness in life.

-- Make more one-dish recipes. One dish, less clean up, more time...I know, everyone wants more time. Small choice, big payoff. 'Nuf said.

What small changes do you make that create a big difference? Are there any that you want to make?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

Replies

• MamaJane
    August 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    Combine trips. If you need to grocery shop and need to drop a bill off and need to pick up the dry cleaning, combine it and make a route to save you the most gas.
  • wandep
    by wandep
    Pam
    August 22, 2013 at 7:44 AM

On a busy night instead of eating out stick something in your crock pot that morning before you head out the door. When you get home your house smells really good and you have a great meal for your family.

• SweetLuci
    August 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I start my day while I brush my teeth, thinking of what I am grateful for in my life. It wakes me up and starts out my day on a good note.

I have a poster of positive saying in the bathroom. Everyone comments on it, and one day when I was in a grumpy mood, I was told I needed to go sit on the toilet!

• fraujones
    August 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Meal plan more. 

• nngmommy83
    August 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

great ideas!

• Juniper53098
    August 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

TFS

• Stevensmomma
    August 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

These are god I need to try these all 

• chicken13
    August 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Tfs

• lil_mama06
    August 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I don't answer the phone while we're homeschooling...

• momofnatalie
    August 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I try to do small exercises while I'm doing chores.  Squats while doing the dishes and wall push ups while waiting for my DD during our potty training sessions. 

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts