Felicity532
Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....
May 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 36% - Yes
  2. 35% - No
  3. 27% - Not sure

Replies

• momofsixangels
    May 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Im not sure what I would do.I would have to be in that position

• angieluvsolivia
    May 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Yeah, really not sure, some things you just have to be in the situation to decide what you would do.

• jdy9440
    by jdy9440
    May 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Agree with above...hard decision for sure

• justins_momm292
    May 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I would say no.  It's still no guarantee.

• powow65
    by powow65
    May 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    If they caught it early, *sigh*
    Yes.
  • Rust.n.Gears
    May 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Absolutely. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was tested when I was younger. She came with me and I told her that if I came up positive the boobs were coming off. I was not going to even risk what she went through. Thankfully I was negative. Even now I would remove them. They are just breasts and not worth the pain and suffering.

• lillucky8
    Jen
    May 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Im not sure. It would be a hard choice, not bc im attached to them, just a hard choice. I think i would probably do it so i didnt risk the suffering later.
  • anlei05
    by anlei05
    May 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes I would.

• PenelopesMom
    May 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

This exactly. Same thing happened to my Mom, thankfully she's negative for the gene, but I'd lob these puppies off in an instant now that I know the information I know.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Absolutely. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was tested when I was younger. She came with me and I told her that if I came up positive the boobs were coming off. I was not going to even risk what she went through. Thankfully I was negative. Even now I would remove them. They are just breasts and not worth the pain and suffering.

• MrsSamMerlotte
    May 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Dos she have her ovaries removed.too? Because the gene increases the chance of cancer there too.
    Idk, I think because it is angelina jolie I kind of wonder if it was partially for publicity... But I I guess thats a little insensitive.