Smarter Living

Featured Posts
SweetLuci
Do you plan your meals?
March 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If so, do you plan just dinners or all meals? Do you feel it saves money and that last minute, "what's for dinner" stress?

Replies

• bwsmommy
    March 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Here lately i have been .. like i will pin or save ideas and then add all the things i need to my grocery list for that week .. i also try to find when meats are going to be on sale and plan around that now as well ! Like this week chicken is .99 a lb for breast on the bone .. so we will eat lots of chicken this week !

• manifer_momma
    March 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    Only dinners and yes, it saves money. I only buy what I need instead of getting a bunch of things, then not knowing what to do with it. It's overwhelming LOL
  • SweetLuci
    March 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I plan my meals. I get a delivery every week of farm to table produce. They send me an email of what's available on Tuesday, I choose what I want and they deliver on Friday. I start with my list of vegetables and fruits, then check what I have on hand in freezer, refrigerator, and pantry that needs to be used and fill that in, next check the grocery ads and what's on sale and make out a grocery list. Life gets in the way-and things don't always go as planned, and things get changed around, I'm flexible-but it's such a relief to have a plan to go by, and not have to stress at the last minute about what to cook. And it saves a lot of money. And you don't end up forgetting about something that then goes to waste. When I find meats on sale, I buy a bunch-especially large cuts of meat like turkey, ham, beef roast, pork shoulder, etc, bake that, have it for dinner one night, and something for the next day or so, but freeze the rest in meal sice portions, so it's easy to pull out a package of cooked meat and make dinner easy. When I cook chili, soup or casseroles, I double the recipe, have part one night, then freeze the rest for an easy meal another time. JUst thaw in refrigerator overnight and reheat, or if still frozen, just heat longer. There's only three of us-sometimes only two-so when I make things like muffins, cornbread, biscuits, cakes, brownies or other baked goods, I freeze part, that way we can have a variety without me having to bake fresh all the time. Here's this week's menu plan, lots of things come from my freezer stash this week:

Sunday-Red Velvet pancakes and cream cheese topping, bacon
      Going to a Hungarian festival-we'll eat there

Monday-Banana-strawberry-spinach smoothie, banana muffins
      Hot ham sandwiches, cucumber slices
      Pot roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, corn muffins

Tuesday-oatmeal, boiled eggs
      Shrimp salad on top of arugula
      Turkey & dressing, baked sweet potatoes, peas with pearl onions

Wednesday-Strawberry-banana-spinach smoothie, Peach muffins
      Potato soup, cornbread
      Short ribs, risotto, asparagus

Thursday-Peanut butter toast, grapefruit halves
      leftovers
      Shrimp Alfredo with broccoli over bowtie pasta, salad

Friday-Strawberry-mango-spinach smoothie, apple bran muffins
      Split pea soup, cornbread
      Going to a fish fry

Saturday-Peanut butter pancakes, sausage, orange slices
      Going to a BBQ cookoff, we'll eat there

• momofsixangels
    March 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Usually its just a last min choice

• Yuriko_chan
    March 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    I do. I feel it does save us.
  • MamaMandee
    March 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    I plan dinners but I dont make it set for a certain day.
  • critter_boo
    March 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    I'm working on meal planning just dinners. And I'm going to do some cooking in advance to freeze meals
  • HisSweetheart07
    March 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

yes. 

it does if I remember it lol 

• hugss
    by hugss
    March 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

We plan our dinner meals always,
    Definitely think it saves money
    As well as less stress .. can't live without it :)

• artistmom27
    March 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I plan days ahead

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts