Smarter Living

maxswolfsuit
The Devil's Work?
February 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Here's the background. 

My son attends a Christian preschool. He's been getting some religious education there since he was one. 

This year he is in preK and on of his teacher is a little more... ummm... intense than the other teachers he's had.  She made it very clear at meet the teacher night that the religious aspect of the curriculum is her focus. That's fine with me even though we don't 100% agree with what she's teaching. I have no issue with my child being exposed to different faiths and beliefs. We've had some great discussions about what he's learning at school. 

But I'm not too thrilled with what he said tonight. He told me "Billy" was doing the devil's work today. When I asked what that meant he explained that when kids misbehave it's because the devil is using them to do his work. So when "Billy" got in trouble on the playground my son knew it was because of the devil. 

I am realistic enough to know that I am the five year old version of what the teacher really said. But obviously she said something.

I talked to him and he understands that I don't agree with that. We talked about times he's misbehaved and he agreed it had nothing to do with the devil. I'm not really worried about the teacher convincing him this is true. But I'm still not thrilled about it.  

Would you say something? What would you say?

Replies

• TheMrs407
    February 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    I completely agree with you. We feel just like you and are open to other faiths and takes on religion, but we also feel personal responsibility for actions is a must! I think many three year olds, even some adults have a difficult time accepting responsibly when this theory is practiced.
    I think I would talk to her about the personal responsibility aspect of her expectations for your child.
  • maxswolfsuit
    February 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting TheMrs407:

I completely agree with you. We feel just like you and are open to other faiths and takes on religion, but we also feel personal responsibility for actions is a must! I think many three year olds, even some adults have a difficult time accepting responsibly when this theory is practiced.
    I think I would talk to her about the personal responsibility aspect of her expectations for your child.

I agree that it's probably the opposite of the intended effect on the kids' behavior. 

• mereinhart28
    February 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

hmmmm that wouldn't sit too well with me. I would talk to her about it. kids need to be tought personal responsibility. it would make me wonder what else she is saying to the kids.

• MamaMandee
    February 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

This!

Quoting mereinhart28:

hmmmm that wouldn't sit too well with me. I would talk to her about it. kids need to be tought personal responsibility. it would make me wonder what else she is saying to the kids.

• ausomezombie2.0
    February 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting MamaMandee:

This!

Quoting mereinhart28:

• critter_boo
    February 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    I agree as well

Quoting MamaMandee:

This!

Quoting mereinhart28:

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    February 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I would def be asking questions here!

• Jukebox_Jenny
    February 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Yep

Quoting critter_boo:

I agree as well

Quoting MamaMandee:

This!

Quoting mereinhart28:

• mom2jessnky
    February 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think this would be expected if you send your child to a religious school...

If it happened in a public school, yeah I'd say something, but he's at a religious school so they're going to toss some religion in there. If you say something, be prepared to get a weird look.

JMO of course.

• momofsixangels
    February 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Quoting TheMrs407:

I agree with this

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts