The key to getting incredibly rich flavor in a sauce made from water is to create tasty browned bits on the bottom of the pan. To ensure you create those bits, use a stainless steel skillet—not a nonstick pan.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed (4 ribs)
- 3 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove beef from pan; cover and keep warm. Remove cooking liquid from pan; reserve cooking liquid.
- 2. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot and onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in reserved cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Bring 3 quarts water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles; cook 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain; serve noodles with ribs and sauce.
Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
by MadelaineFebruary 5, 2013 at 3:09 PMSounds good!
by GodspitgrlFebruary 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM
DH likes this
February 5, 2013 at 3:14 PMYum
by bwsmommyFebruary 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM
This looks good .. may have to show it to the dh and kids !
by mamivon2February 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM
by hugssFebruary 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM
by mereinhart28February 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
YUM! that sounds really good!
by bether89February 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Thanks for the recipe.
by delanna6twoFebruary 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM
by nngmommy83February 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM