Smarter Living

SweetLuci
Don't let what's already in your refrigerator go to waste...
February 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We've all been there. It's Thursday night. You're racking your brain for dinner ideas. You open the refrigerator, and everything looks bland and boring. You think, "A decent meal could never materialize from this stuff!" As tempting as it is to pick up the phone and order takeout, there's a cheaper option. Sites like bigoven.com, allrecipes.com, supercook.com, and recipematcher.com allow you to enter the list of ingredients staring at you from under the fridge bulb and, voila, out pops a recipe for a meal from food that would most likely get pitched. Assuming $8 worth of food is tossed weekly, this trick saves $400 in a year.

Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/08/06/food-prices-rise-drought-money-saving-tips/

Replies

• LifeCafe42
    February 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    I love sites like that!
  • elasmimi
    February 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

We had one of those weekends. Too sick to go to grocery store, we cleaned out the fridge and pantry.

• Luvmybooskies
    February 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I find myself tossing stuff out a lot. I try to freeze my left overs, that way it won't just sit in my fridge and I can actually use it on a night that I don't feel like cooking, but  I find myself wasting things like sour cream, ricotta cheese, and other things that I only needed a little bit for in my dish. I always put it in my fridge hoping I will use it again (maybe I should make it a point to plan a meal that will use it!), but it usually ends up in the garbage because the expiration date comes and goes.

• Madelaine
    February 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

thanks

• EbonySnow
    February 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

great tip

• inmybizz
    February 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Thanks!!

• critter_boo
    February 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Thanks