HeatherNYC
Smarter Mom: Great YA books I want my kid to read
January 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I am a reader. I could spend hours in a bookstore, just checking out all of the books, finding old novels I loved, spying new ones I want to tackle. Yup, I love to read. I do not read as much as I would like and these days, when I am reading, I'm reading to my kiddo. She's taking the first steps into the whole beautiful world of books. I've already thought about all of the young adult books (many that are series) I can't wait for her to read in a few years, ones I will happily re-read right along with her. A few that I'm chomping at the bit for her to love as much as I do? Here they are:

Summerland by Michael Chabon - A journey that follows Ethan Feld as he has to enter an alternate world to find his father and save everyone. The novel pairs fantasy and baseball...and is a perfect read for boys and girls alike.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Totally hot right now, I love this series as it explores the issues of class, strength and family in the midst of a spectacular science-fiction world. Katniss Evergreen is a complex, compelling character for Kiddo to admire.

The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter - A spy school for girls is the main backdrop for these fun reads. Talk about strong girls role models-- these gals can speak a gazillion languages and break spy codes, all while dealing with typical middle school-high school issues.

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan -- Kiddo will learn about Greek gods and more when she delves into these novels with adventures that span all areas of the earth (as well as those areas beyond Earth). They are penned by the masterful storyteller Rick Riordan, and the cover art is by the awesome John Rocco.

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling -- Of course, I mean, I've mentioned my love for the series here often and I know my daughter will fall in love with the world and the characters as much as I did. J.K. Rowling explores life, death, good, evil, friendship, loyalty and yes, magic.

What favorite books do you want your kids to read? Have they tackled any of them yet -- and did they love them as much as you did?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ duaneellison

Replies

• StrawberryCool
    January 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    None of those.

Never understood the ibession with harry potter hunger games or twlight
  • bwsmommy
    January 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

My boys are still on series like goosebumps ..

• Rushn311
    January 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

The Harry Potter series. My daughter has read 3 so far. She read Hunger Games  I believe, or half of it. She didn't get too into it.

• Wish2Be
    by Wish2Be
    January 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Mine is only 3 so we will get to that bridge when it comes...for now its " On the Night You Were Born." :)

• mom2jessnky
    January 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM

My oldest has Harry Potter on her Kindle. She already read the Hunger Games.

Percy Jackson is below her Lexile so I'm going to have her read it over the summer.

• wandep
    by wandep
    Pam
    January 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM

My son has read Harry Potter and Dairy of the Wimpy Kid books. 

• mom2jessnky
    January 30, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Quoting StrawberryCool:

None of those.

Is it really so terrible to have people enjoying books? I'd think that would be a great thing, especially when it comes to kids, and teens. Unless you're Kanye West, he thinks reading is lame (and he's such a lovely human being and shining role model ~sarcasm~) 

• StrawberryCool
    January 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    I never said that it was a bad thing to enjoy books.

All I said was I never understood the obession.

And by the time my daughter gets to those kinds of books, something else will be out...

She loves books. And shes four almost five.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

None of those.

Is it really so terrible to have people enjoying books? I'd think that would be a great thing, especially when it comes to kids, and teens. Unless you're Kanye West, he thinks reading is lame (and he's such a lovely human being and shining role model ~sarcasm~) 

• mom2jessnky
    January 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Twilight maybe. I think Harry Potter is timeless though, and here to stay.

There are certainly worse things to be obsessed with.

I will say all the FanGirl and "OMG PEETA IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!! TEAM PEETA!!" with the Hunger Games, alarms me. The Hunger Games is not a FanGirl type series. Twilight, totally fine, there's no plot in that series whatsoever.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

I never said that it was a bad thing to enjoy books.

All I said was I never understood the obession.

And by the time my daughter gets to those kinds of books, something else will be out...

She loves books. And shes four almost five.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

None of those.

• MamaJane
    January 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    My oldest reads everything. I couldn't begin to list the series' she's read. She didn't like hunger games though and she won't touch twilight.

My middle boy struggles to find books he can get into. He read a book for school that he really loves though. It was called "freak the mighty". I rejoiced that he found a book he loved so much.

My youngest loves to read but he sells himself short and won't stick with it. He loves magic treehouse and captain underpants. He's also obsessed with sponge bob so ill get him books written from the episodes. Anything to get him reading!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts