Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter Mom: Dragons, dragons everywhere!
January 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Fill in the blank: Dungeons and ____ . Puff the Magic ______. Never tickle a sleeping _____  (the school motto for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series). What's the same missing word? Yup. You got it. Firebreathing. Often winged. Perhaps with spikes.

Dragons.

Today is Appreciate A Dragon Day, folks! I know, not usually noted on the At-A-Glance planners or your iCal. Known in the Chinese culture as a symbol of strength and good luck, associated with wisdom and longevity in other Asian countries, I dig dragons. I admit it. I'd want one as a pet (though komodo dragons may not be so welcome in my apartment building in NYC).

I've rounded up a few ideas to help us celebrate...don't think there is a card at the Hallmark store...yet.

Head to the Barnes and Noble or the library or order from Amazon the My Father's Dragon series. This fabulous trilogy by Ruth Stiles Gannett follows Elmer Elevator and his cat as they rescue a baby dragon. Perfect chapter book nighttime read for five-year-olds and a fantastic story for older kids to delve into on their own, it is a must for every home. Um, yeah, I loved reading it at 40.

Watch Hiccup and Toothless change the course of history for their Viking village in one of the best animated films of the past 15 years (at least). The scene when Hiccup puts out his hand to pet the dragon's nose is one of the top 10 most cinematic scenes (live action and animated) I've seen...and as a wife of a film director, I've seen a lot of scenes. As a family, we love this film, and the score is on my iPod. Run, rent, buy, download...all of the above. Did I mention the TV show?

Find your love of Spike. Spike being Twilight Sparkle's assistant. Am I speaking a foreign language? Then you have not entered the world of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Over on The Hub, it's a kids' show, yet, with hilarious songs and some humorous nods to those adults watching, it has become somewhat of a phenomena. My kiddo always asks who my fave character is, and I always say Spike. A baby dragon that has a crush on a pony and has magical powers to deliver letters to a princess by eating them? I mean, what is not to love?

Wear your dragon pride. Why not be adorned with the power of the dragon? Check out this pendant from Amazon, with emerald green enamel behind the sterling silver. Gorgeous and not too too dragon-y, right? Picture it on a long chain with a black shift dress.

Pour your power. Check out this lovely Sake set from Pearl River Mart...you don't have to use it for sake, you can use it for tea, coffee, juice, anything. With the dragon motif on the side of the pitcher, it is artistic and eclectic. So cool, no?

Do you love dragons? Do your kids? Do you have any dragon stuff at home?

©iStockphoto.com/julos

Replies

• Jukebox_Jenny
    January 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    I love dragons! :)
  • hugss
    by hugss
    January 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Those are cute :)

• Rust.n.Gears
    January 16, 2013 at 5:16 AM

We all love dragons. I have tons of them in our home.

• jessica1078
    January 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    my nephew is a year of the dragon baby, named draco... I'm working on a quilt with the " never wake a sleeping dragon" embroidered on the edges, but really is that from Harry potter?? my sis is going to love picking on me about that :-/
  • brownhoney21
    January 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Quoting hugss:

Those are cute :)

• mrswillie
    January 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I'm not into them

• powow65
    by powow65
    January 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    That's awesome!
  • MamaJane
    January 16, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    It's not 'from' Harry. It was around long before that.

Quoting jessica1078:

my nephew is a year of the dragon baby, named draco... I'm working on a quilt with the " never wake a sleeping dragon" embroidered on the edges, but really is that from Harry potter?? my sis is going to love picking on me about that :-/
  • MamaJane
    January 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Ill have to tell my littles this and have a dragon day. Thanks for the heads up!
  • SarahSuzyQ
    January 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    My son loves How to Train You Dragon... I think there's a tv show too! What a fun "holiday". :-)

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts