Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter Mom: Family resolutions made simple
January 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

We often think of resolutions as a grown-up thing to do. Something for the over 21 set, those of us that can see rated R movies and are buying age-defying creams. But the funny thing is, many of our resolutions involve our little ones - whether it is to be healthier so we can keep up with them, making more time to be with them or finding a new job to provide for them. See? They are a part of this whole resolution shebang.

So, why not make family resolutions? Okay, tough to do with that newborn, I'll give you that but, for those that are even three, four, five, 12, 16...make a few goals for 2013 you can tackle together. The great thing? Kids see how reaching a goal and sticking with it takes time and a little teamwork. Need a few ideas?

-- Get healthy. Try one new healthy recipe each week for Sunday family dinner. Have everyone be a part of it: little ones can draw what veggies you had that night, while the older ones can look in the cookbooks or online for a meal everyone will like.

-- Get moving. Have a dance party or go on a family walk at least five times a week or invent a game for the background or in the basement you play after dinner.

-- Expand your world. Go check out a new museum exhibit together, say, every month or have a New Discovery Day every other Saturday (or whenever), where you (somehow) pick a country or artist or musician and learn more about it together with crafts or a trip to the library.

The main trick for keeping these going all year? A white board hung on the fridge with the goals and places to them off. Simple!

What goals do you make as a family?

ŠiStockphoto.com/peskeymonkey

Replies

• lasombrs
    January 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

we are trying to save/spend better as a family but we dont set resolutions at all

• SarahSuzyQ
    January 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    I like the idea of setting some family goals. We have a few house projects to do this year, some goals for the garden, and we'd like to take a family vacation with only our immediate family.
  • EbonySnow
    January 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

our goals this year are simply to eat better and excersize more

• Stevensmomma
    January 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Get healthier this year is our number one and to save more is number two

• elasmimi
    January 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We actually did this last night.

1. Get healthier

2. Spend more time together w/o electronics

3. Get out of debt

• aubsmom09
    January 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I would like to do more family hikes outside when it gets warmer.

• bwsmommy
    January 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My goals for my family this year (not really persay a "new year goal") .. is just for a smooth transition for the new arrival of our 4th ds ..

• momofsixangels
    January 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

We havent set any yet

• charlene_kyle
    January 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

We are going to try to save more money this year.

• othermom
    January 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

We haven't really made any, but we would like to work on saving more money and eating better

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN