Smarter Living

Featured Posts
mamivon2
Seriously.....
November 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I believe it was wed.. a 3rd grader from my neighborhood rings my doorbell.. His mom isnt home and he doesnt know where she is...!! He has 2 older sisters.. they have school till about 330pm and will be riding the same bus home.. they are 13 and 15 ( or 15 and 17 dont remember) I dont really know the kid nor his family...Well I did let him inside but  sent him home once the sisters came home..I told him if they needed anything come back up here..!!

So guess what. He is here again.. this time his mom is at work.. I feel sorry for the child but geeze I am not his go to person when mommy isnt home.. I told him as nicely as I could that he needs to let his mom know that she needs to find other arrangements for him after school..

Like I said I dont know his mom, never met this person in my life...

If she would come to my house talk to me and ask if he can stay till his sisters get home ok different story..

I am being unreasonable....

Replies

• wandep
    by wandep
    Pam
    November 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I wouldn't get involved especially if you don't know them. I would never leave my 3rd grader home alone. That is just wrong.

• mom2jessnky
    November 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Unfortunately unless your city has a law about when kids can be left home alone, the mom may not do anything, because legally she doesn't have to.

Where I live there's no city law on when a kid can be left home alone for short amounts of time (up to a few hours, not overnight) it just says "when the child is responsible" so you could deem your 6yo "responsible" and leave them alone at home for a couple hours and as long as nothing happens to that child, nothing will ever be said or done to you.  Now if he burns down the house, that's another story.

How long is he being left alone? Are we talking 20 minutes? an Hour? what?

I'd check your city ordinance, and then tell him to go wait inside his house for his sisters. Not your problem.

• mom2jessnky
    November 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Adding on: The only alarming thing to me is that he's wandering around to other people's houses.  It's not really an issue to me if he's home alone for 20 minutes INSIDE THE HOUSE. But wandering around, hitting up strangers? That's alarming. Not that you're a psycho, but you could be! You could have a skin suit in your basement for all that mom knows.

So really my issue is that the kid is wandering around. My 4th grader walks home from school, lets herself in and starts her homework. She's alone for MAYBE 5 minutes, but I know she'd be fine for much much longer than that, because she's in the house!

• mamivon2
    November 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

To answer some of your questions.. I live in NC and I not sure about the child home alone law... The bus drops him off around 2:55.. my kids get dropped off a min or two before him... His sisters get home around 3:40pm..

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Adding on: The only alarming thing to me is that he's wandering around to other people's houses.  It's not really an issue to me if he's home alone for 20 minutes INSIDE THE HOUSE. But wandering around, hitting up strangers? That's alarming. Not that you're a psycho, but you could be! You could have a skin suit in your basement for all that mom knows.

So really my issue is that the kid is wandering around. My 4th grader walks home from school, lets herself in and starts her homework. She's alone for MAYBE 5 minutes, but I know she'd be fine for much much longer than that, because she's in the house!

• mom2jessnky
    November 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting mamivon2:

To answer some of your questions.. I live in NC and I not sure about the child home alone law... The bus drops him off around 2:55.. my kids get dropped off a min or two before him... His sisters get home around 3:40pm..

Quoting mom2jessnky:

It's just like my state, parental discretion.

What is the legal age when a child may be left home alone? There is no age specified by law that a child can be left alone in North Carolina. Parents and caretakers must look at the child's maturity, the safety of the community, and access to emergency assistance. A child may be mature enough to stay alone, but not to care for younger siblings. If you are concerned that a child is left alone and is unsafe, call your county department of social services.

• Gabbysmom615
    November 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

i would elave that one alone

• crabbyD
    by crabbyD
    November 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Maybe suggest to him that he needs to get a copy of his house key...  That way he can just go straight home.  My boys 12 & 10 walk home from school (school is 2 blocks away) and call me once they're out and call me from our house phone when they get in.  They share a cell and have a house key... They're alone for about 20-30min before dh gets home from work.

• mamivon2
    November 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

ok.. thank you.. I just dont want some "random" child in my house.. you know what I mean.. I feel like his mom thinks.. well just send him to that lady up the road Im sure she doesnt mind.. and actually I dont even know if his mom knows that he is here or not..
    what if something happen to him while he is in my care.. I have no way getting in touch with her or anything..

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting mamivon2:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

What is the legal age when a child may be left home alone? There is no age specified by law that a child can be left alone in North Carolina. Parents and caretakers must look at the child's maturity, the safety of the community, and access to emergency assistance. A child may be mature enough to stay alone, but not to care for younger siblings. If you are concerned that a child is left alone and is unsafe, call your county department of social services.

• mom2jessnky
    November 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Exactly, if he gets hurt his mom can sue you. I'd tell him that he needs to go home and wait for his sisters. Unless his mom comes and talks to you first he can't be over.

It's hard being the bad guy, but the mom is a twit for not caring where her kid is.

Quoting mamivon2:

ok.. thank you.. I just dont want some "random" child in my house.. you know what I mean.. I feel like his mom thinks.. well just send him to that lady up the road Im sure she doesnt mind.. and actually I dont even know if his mom knows that he is here or not..
    what if something happen to him while he is in my care.. I have no way getting in touch with her or anything..

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting mamivon2:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

• Apr1l
    by Apr1l
    November 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    That happened to me too, but the mom was at home after all it was odd!

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts