HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: How to Eat Healthy on The Road
November 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Part of our travels this holiday season will involve a 10-hour road trip. Yes, feeling my pain, eh? Whenever I hear "road trip," I think about all of the activities we will have to pack to keep us busy...and fed. But those snacks only go so far. Inevitably, we will stop to go potty (yeah, I say that still....I really need to switch to "go to the bathroom") and grab a bite to eat. As we all know, fast food is an easy choice, but one that is just sooooooooooo bad for us.

Sure, packing snacks and a cooler in the car is a-number-one way to try to eat better and "normal" when on the road, but here are some other ideas to be a little healthier as you travel. 

-- Drink water. This may seem counterproductive to driving as you will have to make a ton of stops, but being dehydrated is one of the big reasons we overeat or feel hungry when we aren't. Be sure to have bottles or thermoses of water for the whole family to avoid oversnacking and overeating. (This is a good thing to remember when flying too.)

-- When you can, try to stop at a regular restaurant, like a Denny's or Cracker Barrel. You can sit down with a larger menu that offers more variety of healthier options (and their restrooms are usually a little cleaner).

-- If you have to do choose a fast food place, opt for a Subway where you can make your own sandwich and avoid fried items. If that isn't possible, refrain from supersizing and select a grilled option if possible.

How do you eat on the road? What do you find yourself and your family eating? Do you try to keep it healthy?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz 

Replies

• JerseyGirl511
    November 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

we don't travel

• LifeCafe42
    November 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    We rarely go out to eat I pack lots of snacks
  • SweetLuci
    November 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

We don't eat at fast food. We like to relax at a sit down restaurant. I research before going to try and find local restaurants.

• onecuteladybug2
    November 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Most often when we go on road trips, we try to pack snacks and lunches so we only need to stop for dinner.

• bether89
    November 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I must admit that when we are traveling, that we hit fast food places.  One way that I watch the calories is by sharing a meal with my son.

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    November 15, 2012 at 7:26 AM

When we would travel with our grandparents as kids we would pack snacks and then get something to eat out someplace, usually a restaurant like Cracker Barrel. We haven't really traveled as adults with our children, but when we drive for a bit we do have snacks. We pack veggies, hawaiin bread, juices, water, etc.

• Madelaine
    November 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM

We try to keep healthy and usually eat one or two meals at fast food places.

• EbonySnow
    November 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

when we do go up to the cities (hour drive) we usually get fast food its a treat since we don't do it often

• lasombrs
    November 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

we try to pack lunches of sandwhiches but usually get mcdonalds otherwise. The kids only get chicken nuggets from my meal (i get the 20 piece meal with medium fry) so they dont have toys, or sodas, or their own fries just a few nuggets and whatever milk or juice we packed to get them to where we are going

• elasmimi
    November 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM

We carry a cooler with bottles of frozen water. It thaws so we can drink it, plus keeps the other things cool, like fruit, cheese and crackers. When we stop, it is at a sit down restaurant.