jpalmer
They say it's socialization...
by jpalmer
October 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I have one kiddo who homeschools and one kiddo who goes to public school...i am ALWAYS told that my kiddo who is homeschooled will be socially awkward...but here i sit at the pool and my home schooled kiddo is playing with a group of kiddos that he met on his own and my public school kiddo is playing by himself and he keeps coming to me saying he wants to go home he's not having any fun...smh...

So are my kiddos just weirdos (which i think they are weirdos), or are people just stereotyping home schooled kiddos...what's your opinion?

Replies

• angieluvsolivia
    October 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

• fraujones
    October 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Well, I was homeschooled from 6th-12th and very sheltered. I have struggled with shyness, confusion about what to do in certain social situations and an extreme fear of public speaking. Maybe I would have still had these issues if I were in public school, but homeschooling certainly didn't help me.

But you sound like you are letting your homeschooled kid get a lot of socialization which is great!

• Apr1l
    by Apr1l
    October 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I think everyone goes through a socially awkward phase

• SassyWildflower
    October 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I don't think kids need school to have social skills (& I don't home school!!) I think that's a load of bull honestly. lOl..

I think it depends on the kid. Some kids are shy & keep to themselves no matter where they are. 

• ms.sophsmom
    October 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Depends on the kid. Some are just naturally shy people. Nothing wrong with that
  • slw123
    by slw123
    October 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I think people just stereotype home schooled children. 

• crabbyD
    by crabbyD
    October 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

ALL kids are different... My boys are so different and I think they're weirdos too, lol.  Anyway don't stress because momma knows best. 

You know what kills me though.... I'm a natural "cheerleader" and love chatting up a storm and my boys are the flippin' opposite!  When people meet them they're always confused because they expect them to be like me or my dh who is also a social butterfly... We do have hope with our toddler... That kid is hilarious, but we love all our boys equally of course!

• AstuteMama
    October 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

All three of my kids went/still going to public school. My daughter, who is 22 years old now, went to public school and didn't have any problems making friends. Where both of my boys still attend public school and had trouble making friends until they entered into the 4th grade and that is when their social skills started to kick in.

• jpalmer
    by jpalmer
    October 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    My youngest has I.D.D (immune deficiency disorder) and a blood disorder...his immune system is about like someone that's on chemo...my youngest is on several diffrent immune booster suplements...it's a mess...

My middle is fine and is as healthy as a horse...lol

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I think it just depends on the kid.  Out of curiousity, why is one home schooled and one not?

• brownhoney21
    October 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Stereotyping and saying what thy have heard others say.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts