Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter Living: Weather Apps for The Weather-Obsessed Mama
September 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Maybe it is because we live on the 23rd floor and can't readily walk outside to see how hot or cold it is. Maybe it is because I'm a planner. Maybe it is because I hate wearing the wrong shoes and I'm obsessed with the weather. Regardless of why, I love to know what the weather is and how I need to prepare my day. Do I need a jacket? How about rain boots? Am I going to be way too hot in this sweater? All questions that the weatherman can do his best to answer, but what if Doc McStuffins is on the TV and I can't readily flip to the forecast?

Enter the weather app. Handy and at my fingertips, there are many of them out there. I rounded up two that I am digging these days, spreading the word on my little friends that tell me if it's going to be sunny and fabulous (well, one can always, hope, right?).

Swakett -- My kiddo and I use this one together, with cool weather icons (aka your "peeps") that tell you what it is going to be like out via their wardrobe. If it's rainy, they have umbrellas and galoshes. If it is sunny, they have cool tank tops and sunglasses. Very fun and easy to use.

Dark Sky - All about the rain, this app is. But that is what makes it so cool and essential when you want to find out not only when it will rain today, but what are the chances it will that hour when you need to be on the playground.

Are you obsessed with the weather? Do you have any weather apps? 

©iStockphoto.com/robertsrob 

Replies

• amyjane22
    Amy
    September 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I like to check the weather, but I'm not obsessed.  These apps sound really interesting.  I think my son would love the 1st one :)

• fraujones
    September 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I have one that came preinstalled on my phone. Not sure what it is. I'm not obsessed with the weather. Often I'm surprised and unprepared for it!

• Rain2Rinse
    September 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    My husband thinks he is the weather man. Really, he's just a pain in my ass.

Lol
  • Hannahsmommy816
    September 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM

i just use weather.com

• PoehlerBear1983
    September 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    I am gonna check some out. Ds2 loves watching the weather
  • ethans_momma06
    September 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I wish I had a weather app

• SarahSuzyQ
    September 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    I just use Weather Bug.
  • charlene_kyle
    September 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I am not obsessed but I do check it every few days.

• Juniper53098
    September 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I don't have a smart phone, so I don't use any aps.  I just watch the local news.

• lizzig
    by lizzig
    September 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM

nope, why be obsessed, you can't do anything about it?

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN