HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: How Do You Stop The Hiccups?
September 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV, but I feel like this quasi-medical question can be tackled.

Paperbagqueen: Help! We are a family of hiccupers - all five of us get the hiccups often. We have tried a bunch of different remedies. Wondering if you knew of any great ways to get rid of these minor annoyances?

Ah, yes. Those little hics and bips that interrupt sleep sometimes as well as conversations. I get them sometimes as does the kiddo. Our body is such an amazing machine, it is no wonder sometimes it gets a little of- kilter. I have tried everything from the usual holding my breath method to odd ones like eating a lemon with dabs of Tabasco sauce (spicy and sour - not so yummy). I have to say, there isn't one that works every single time, but these familiar and not-so-familiar ideas may give you some new options!

-- Hold your breath and drink a glass of water without letting out that breath.

-- Stick your tongue out really far then bring it back in.

-- Eat some sugar (some say to place it on the very back of your tongue).

-- Hold your breath while lying down or with your head hanging off the side of the bed.

-- Chug (and I do mean chug) a glass of really cold water.

-- Jump up and down while holding your breath with your arms up over your head (this is harder than it sounds).

What is the best method you have found to stop the hiccups?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/marekuliasz 

Replies

• suziejax
    September 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM

hold my breath for ten secs while drinking ice water gets rid of it everytime for me

• Threes.Company
    September 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Hold my breath.

• Kainalu55
    September 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

it just goes away when you forget about it!

• happy2bmom25
    September 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM

this always works for me too!

Quoting Juniper53098:

Drink out of the opposite side of a glass.

• fraujones
    September 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I hold my breath! 

• Emilytrademark
    September 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I relax every muscle in my body - meditation of sorts. They usually go away with relaxation.

• 2lilmamas
    Tee
    September 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    I just hold my breath.
  • PoehlerBear1983
    September 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Block your ears and nose and chug water through a straw. Works every time
  • koolkidsmom
    September 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I hold two straight pens or needles and try to put the points together.  I guess the concentration stops the hiccups.

• alliesmom112
    September 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I hold my breath or dh scares the daylights out of me