Smarter Living

Featured Posts
HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: Do You Take The Stairs?
August 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

One would think after being out and about in this warm weather, I'd have lost a few pounds...yet I have not. So, I've been trying to think of ways to burn a few more calories. I'm going to tackle this in a three-pronged approach. First, I'm going to exercise more: schedule a walk in the park a few times a week while the weather is still friendly. Second, I'm stretching more and tackling yoga (more on this in another post for sure, as my husband has gotten me on this kick). And third: I'm taking the stairs more.

Now, I live on the 23rd floor, so I'm not going to fully embrace this on the home front, but whenever I can, whether at a store or in a shorter building, I try to take the stairs.

And when I've been sitting at the ol' desk for a bit? I get up -- and go up and down a few flights for 10-15 minutes. You may think that doesn't do much but studies have shown that 10 minutes here and there do add up to some big-time health benefits.

How much will I burn on the stairs? Maybe about 50...but doing that five times a day is 250 calories, which isn't so shabby.

How often do you take the stairs? What do you do to increase your workouts?

ŠiStockphoto.com/CardMaverick   

Replies

• Rushn311
    August 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

If my knees didn't hurt, I would!!

• Bradensmommy719
    August 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    I do! Every chance I get. So much better then the sick feeling riding the elevator.
  • MixedCooke
    August 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

depends how many floors I am going

• taniamorse85
    August 30, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Rarely.  If I'm going somewhere with stairs, I almost always take my wheelchair instead of my cane.  My hips and knees just can't handle stairs well.  There have been quite a few times in the past, though, that I've had to drag my wheelchair up and down flights of stairs.  Oh, the joys of an inaccesible college campus...

• Charizma77
    August 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    I do as much as possible
  • Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    August 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    I hardly go anywhere that has status these days! That's sad! My house, the stores and schools...no stairs. Maybe we will visit my Mom soon and then we can take some stairs!
  • mereinhart28
    August 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

at preschool, we always took the stairs.

• momofsixangels
    August 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

There really are no stairs but I do park further away from store so I have more walking to do

• Juniper53098
    August 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I go up and down the stairs a lot at home.  I haven't been using the stairs much at businesses because my son had foot surgery this summer and can't handle them well, yet.

• Jules_
    by Jules_
    August 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    It depends if all the kids are with me or not. But I do stairs all day long in my house.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts