Smarter Living

Featured Posts
HeatherNYC
Smarter Style: Fashion Regrets
August 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I've been rearranging stuff around the abode and ran across some pictures of the old days...and when I say the old days, I mean like 20 years ago (or more - gasp). Photos from high school, college, early years here working and dating in the city. They brought back memories and many a fashion regret. Now, I'll chock some of them up to the style of the day, yet some were just plain bad choices.

We all make them. We look in the mirror and think, "Hey, good lookin'!"...yet, holy mole guacamole, upon reflection, it is more hey what were you thinking? Not the end of the world, by any imagination, but we need to learn from our mistakes.

The first step: admitting them. So here I am before you, to admit my wardrobe missteps, my fashion foibles. Mine will be different than yours (and perhaps you may not judge some as such), but let's share:

-- Whiskered jeans. Yes, those white lines right across where I am the widest? Not a good look.

-- Over-dyed hair. I went to acting class one time with orange hair. Meaning I walked from the salon, rode the subway, and got up on stage with orange hair. It was meant to be a blonde highlight, but alas, it went wrong. Only when a kind soul told me, "Honey, you know you have orange hair, right?" did I choose to admit it.

-- Peter Pan collars. Unless you are eight years old and wear it with a pleated plaid skirt as part of your school uniform, Peter Pan collars makes anyone look just off. I knew this and wore one anyway. Felt just weird the whole time.

-- Hippie headbands. Halloween and some sort of Woodstock party excluded, wearing a hippie headband across your forehead should be avoided. Why I didn't realize this back in the late 90s for a fabulous evening out, I'll never know, but I do know why no guy at the housewarming party I went to that night asked for my number.

Share your fashion regrets -- I shared mine!

©iStockphoto.com/WileeCole 

Replies

• mrswillie
    August 30, 2012 at 6:41 AM

scrunchies

• godsgirl26
    August 30, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    This

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Tights with jean shorts
  • funhappymom
    August 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Eh, I'm a fashion disaster most days--at least according to Clinton and Stacy, lol.

As long as I'm comfy, that's all that matters.

• bether89
    August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I found a picture of me a couple of weekends ago from about 20 years ago.  When my son saw it, he started laughing at my hairstyle.

• Hottmomma607
    August 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The whole 80's era! lol

• Hottmomma607
    August 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

BTW my DH would say my Toms! LOL He thinks they look like Karate Kid shoes from the 80's! LOL

• SarahSuzyQ
    August 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Tight rolled jeans, white jeans, oversize t-shirts...

• heydooney
    August 31, 2012 at 1:34 AM

OK in fourth grade I had this enormous purple sweater with black hearts on it. I wore it over black stirrup pants with slouchy white socks on TOP and thought I was the s&^*!

And before I broke 100 lbs sometime in high school I was embarrassed and wore huge baggy clothes, XL tshirts and stuff. I thought I was "hiding" my scrawniness but in reality it made me look worse!

• black.eyeliner
    August 31, 2012 at 3:31 AM

I never had any. I still wear what I wore in high school. 

• aneela
    by aneela
    August 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    I don't really have any just bad hair days lol but that's on me

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts