Smarter Living

Featured Posts
AmyKuras
Smarter Mom: BTS Shopping Strategies
August 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It's been a long hot summer, and the first day of school is finally drawing close (if it's not here for you already). I am personally very much looking forward to that oh so happy day, but before it comes, I have another hurdle to clear: back to school shopping.

My son is pretty well set, but my daughter, who goes to a school that requires uniforms, has grown out of just about everything, which means she and I are hitting the stores. It's a ton easier for us than for most people because if she finds something she likes, we load up on multiples in the allowed colors and off we go. But it's still shopping with a kid, and it will take some doing to find the stuff she'll like and not decree to be dorky or itchy.

My main strategy is to sell it like a mommy-and-me date. I plan to take her to lunch someplace, or out for a treat, or both. It also helps to let her choose one fun, inexpensive thing at each store...a headband, or a new lunchbox, or some sparkly lipgloss. We try to do it all in one marathon afternoon, although some people do break it down into smaller chunks. I absolutely do NOT try to shop for myself or anyone else in the family at the same time, and I try to hit the mall with the play area.

And I have to admit, as much as I have been looking forward to school, spending a day with her before she's gone almost all day, every day sounds wonderful.

What's your BTS shopping strategy?

Replies

• mommythree0508
    August 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM

My daughter is in second grade. I load up on stuff in her size while she's at home.

• charlene_kyle
    August 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

We are done school shopping =) I don't really have a strategy. It was more or less just get the kids in the car and go =)

• wandep
    by wandep
    Pam
    August 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I hit the sales. :) We're all done with our school shopping. I do need to get notebooks for the music lessons on Tuesday.

• suziejax
    August 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I really dont have one 

• ashleymosq
    August 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Well like everything else, last minute lol. I am going this weekend to get her supplies, shoes, and backpack. Maybe some clothes. Then going next weekend to get some more clothes. Next week we meet the teacher and the following week school starts..

• SarahSuzyQ
    August 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    I try to buy things gradually as they are on sale... Especially clothes in the next size up. We're starting the year with lots of brand new pants that I bought on clearance last spring.
  • momma-flynn
    August 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    I avoid it at all costs. Does that count as a strategy? Lol
  • heydooney
    August 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Stay home! lol

My son's online school is sending him all the supplies he needs. I was shocked!

• lil_mama06
    August 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I don't have one..We'll just go..

• Juniper53098
    August 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

My son doesn't need any clothes right now.  We already bought his new shoes.  As far as school supplies, I'll head to the store when DH is home with the kids.  It's much faster when I'm by myself.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts