Smarter Living

AmyKuras
Smarter Mom: Getting Your Zzzzs
August 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM

When you have a new baby in the house, the idea of ever, ever being able to stay up too late again is kind of ridiculous. 

Or so it would seem. But I know I am not the only mom Facebooking or working away and then looking at the computer clock in horror, calculating exactly how little sleep I'll be surviving on the next day.

I think a lot of things drive moms' tendencies to stay up too late….the aforementioned Facebook, chores, work brought home from the office, catching up with your partner or friends, or simply just being a night owl raising early-rising kids can make it very hard to get your minimum amount of sleep.

But trying to get eight hours (or however many you need) is critical to your health, well being, and ability to not be Yelly Mommy.

•    Lack of sleep makes you fat. Being tired raises your level of cortisol, the stress hormone, which causes your body to hold on to fat and slows your metabolism. Too little sleep can also torpedo your eating habits. Studies have shown people who were overtired ate more refined carbs and sweets than people who had had a decent amount of rest….and who hasn't consumed a giant sugary mocha and a handful of M&Ms in an attempt to feel more awake?

•    Driving while sleep-deprived can be as dangerous as driving drunk -- it slows your reactions and makes you more prone to distraction and even falling asleep at the wheel.

•    Not getting enough rest means you're not performing at your best at work and at home. Being patient with your kids …or your boss…is a lot harder when you're contending with that raw feeling from a lack of sleep.

Try to get to bed even half an hour earlier …. then bump that up to an hour. You won't regret going to bed earlier, but you might just regret staying up later.

Do you stay up too late, or are you good about going to bed on time?

Replies

• lil_mama06
    August 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I do stay up late..Then there's days I go to bed early and wake up early..Like tonight ,the twins went to sleep easy, so I'm about ready to get off here and go to bed. I've gone to bed once before they were totally asleep. They raided my fridge (they are 3 years old) So now I make darn sure they are asleep before  I go to sleep. 

• tifferie
    August 9, 2012 at 1:31 AM
    Haha! I knee I was fat for a reason.
  • MixedCooke
    August 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I work nights, need I say more?

• thehickinhickor
    August 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM

i stay up late i need to start going to be on time 

• BeachMommy07
    August 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM

The past week I have been up late because I have been drinking coffee in the afternoon. ugh.

• midnghtsprnkle
    August 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM

last one to bed first one up.

• aidansmommy219
    August 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Sounds like me

Quoting midnghtsprnkle:

last one to bed first one up.

• brownhoney21
    August 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I'm good about going to bed.

• lasombrs
    August 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I go to bed at an okay time byt kids just dont sleep well so i have to get up all night and have a hard time going back to sleep

• lizzig
    by lizzig
    August 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

i've always been a night owl with a touch of insomnia.  runs on my moms side of the family.  i've always been able to function perfectly well on little sleep, unless i'm sick.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN