HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: Olympic-Inspired Workout Moves
July 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I'm glued on my couch. I'm mesmerized. I'm watching amazing athletes from all over the globe compete in the Olympics. Awe-inspiring to say the least, the amount of training and preparation it takes to get to their level...and it should inspire me to peel myself off of the couch and get my body moving, right? While still sitting on the couch, I found some pretty awesome Olympic-inspired workout moves. Who's with me? We can even do them while watching those men and women go for the gold!

Arms --  To get some super-toned arms like those women on the beach volleyball team, grab two dumbbells and have your feet about hip distance apart. Tighten that core and move your arms like you were running...but not as fast, obviously. Raise one up and in front of you (up to about nose-height) as the other arm is swinging back. Switch, again, moving arms as fi you are running, but more controlled. Do for three sets. (thanks to Amanda Russell for this one.)

Endurance - Okay, so maybe you can't watch TV while you do this one, but you can get the kids involved. Just do some basic sprints. Sprint forward for 10 yards, then back. Rest for 5 seconds and do it again. Do it six times and then rest for a minute. Then do the whole set over again two more times. 

Legs - This lunge-toe touch combo looks hard but you will get uber-toned legs. Start from a standing position. Step into a lunge with your left leg while keeping your right knee above the ball of the right foot.
 Pull in your abdominals, lift your left leg in front of your left hip (while keeping it straight) and reach for your left foot with your right hand.
Step back into a lunge. Exhale to stand. Complete 12 repetitions on each leg. 

Core work - Every athlete's main strength comes from his or her core. One of the best positions to work your core is the basic plank. Here's how: Get in the pushup position, only put your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Your elbows should line up directly underneath your shoulders. Toes on the ground. Squeeze your glutes and tighten your abdominals. Keep a neutral neck and spine. Create a straight, strong line from head to toes - a plank, if you will. Hold that position. 

Oh -- and if you have a gym, try out the rowing machine or the pool for a total body workout!

Are you watching the Olympics? Does it make you want to workout? 

©iStockphoto.com/gerhingj

Replies

• Kainalu55
    August 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

no, i haven't watched the olympics

• Godspitgrl
    August 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Yes love gymnastics!
  • Godspitgrl
    August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    I wanted to work out already just never any time.
  • elasmimi
    August 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I had never heard this! I don't think I could eat that many calories a day.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I still cant believe Phelps eats 12000 calories per day when there is 3500 calories in a pound of fat and there doesnt look like there is much on him!  He inspires me to swim more!

• collinsmommy0
    August 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    I've watched a few events, about 30 minutes a night before bed.

I climb. It makes me want to get to the gym more to climb more!
  • critter_boo
    August 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    No
  • Madelaine
    August 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Great article!

• ceciliam
    August 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I don't watch the Olympics but I still work-out anyway. This summer, my husband and I have taken our work-outs to the outdoors. Every weekend, we head out to the park, with our son, for some circuit training....medicine ball, some free weights and we are all set. It's a lot of fun:)

• suziejax
    August 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

not wacthing really but read about it online

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts