HeatherNYC
Smarter Home: The Best Pet Names
July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

A good friend of mine just adopted a brand new pup. Before she and her boys brought the little guy home, they spent weeks thinking of the name for their new addition. Now, as I'm allergic to both cat and dogs and Kiddo is allergic to cats, we haven't had the pleasure of picking a name for a furry creature. We have named some finned creatures: Fredo, Bubbles, Princess FishyFish, and currently Finners, all of whom have taken a lovely swim in a bowl in our abode.

Similar to when you hear of a friend who is pregnant, when you hear someone is getting a new pet, you start thinking of names for them. Making lists, emailing them what you think are fantastic choices, perhaps annoying them with your ideas.

And just like names for babies, some pet names are more popular than others. In 2011, the most popular names for dogs and cats were strikingly like "people" names. For cats, Bella, Lucy, Chloe, and (of course) Kitty all made the top 10 list for feminine felines, while Max, Tiger, Charlie, Oliver, and Smokey were top picks for male cats. Popular choices for girl pups were Bella (thank you Twilight), Daisy, Lucy, Molly, and Lola, while the male pooches were named Max, Buddy, Charlie, Bear, and Rocky. So weird that Max was top for both cats and dogs, huh?

(Not to leave our aquatic friends out there, top fish choices were Jaws, Goldie, Nemo, Elvis, Finley, and Dory...yup, movies influenced the naming process here too.) 

So, what did my friend name her dog? I gave her great options like Zoom, Harry, Moose, Zip, Houndsley, Burt, Seymour, Percy, Mac, Doc, Jazz, Rufus and Spike. They had planned on naming it Darcy (she's an English professor), but the sweet little guy was just not a Darcy. Big paws, big guy, he needed a big name. They decided on a perfect one: Tank.

What are your pets' names? What were the names of your pets growning up? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/GlobalP

Replies

• sweetpea1269
    August 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    Past cats Winston, Misty and Pusskat(formerly Shazam). Former dogs Sheba, Duke and Jessie. Former ferret Bubba. Former Savannah Monitor Monster.
  • mrswillie
    August 30, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Zigbet-pig.

Temmington- dog

• bether89
    August 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Our dog is named Rocko.

• malexander2009
    August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Growing up I had Taffy(cat), lil bit (dog), tramp(dog) pretty and peepers (cockatiles) general lee and general grant (parakeets), balto(dog), curious(cat), norton(cat), figero(cat), boris(dog), and slugger(dog).

Now we have jeremiah (dog)

• heydooney
    August 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I don't even remember all my pets growing up. We had parakeets, cockatiels, a parrot, newts, a turtle, fish (tons of fish!), hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, and dogs. Not all at once, usually 1-2 at a time! Now we have 2 cats - Rob and Tiger. We named Rob "Handsome Rob" but now we call him "Rob the Blob." We didn't name Tiger, he came to us as an adult. He was a nursing home cat that was mistreated and almost died. My aunt nursed him back to health but couldn't keep him, so he came to live with us!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts