Smarter Living

Featured Posts
HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: Boost Your Brainpower!
July 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Fuzzy. An oft-used adjective referring to your hubby's non-shaven cheek, an Angora sweater or that famous bear with no hair of rhyming lore. But fuzzy can sometimes be used to described how your brain is feeling - especially after late-night feedings or the five a.m. wakeup call to bake cupcakes for the band fundraiser...or week after week of constant work/mommy/wife/life clutter in that mental space.

What's a mom to do? Boost that brainpower by doing any or all of the ideas below. You'll thank me later (and actually remember to do so!).

Sleep - A-number-one way to clear the cobwebs is to give the brain time to rest, to chill, to recharge. Rev that brain engine with sleep. I know, I know, easier said than done, but getting a consistent good night's sleep or taking catnaps through the day is vital for brain function.

Exercise - Study after study shows that when you exercise something happens in our bodies to get brain cells and neurons working again. Even 15 minutes a day of walking or jumping rope or doing some speed yoga moves can help.

Feed your tummy with brain food - Shovel those Omega-3s onto the plate, folks. Fish (think salmon, trout, tuna, halibut), soybeans, walnuts, flaxseed oil all have the essential fatty acid needed to catapult the cranium into a new level of function.

Feed you brain with fun - Do some puzzles, word games, Sudoku. Play Angry Birds or Words With Friends. Read a book. All of it will give your brain some energy juice.

How do you keep that mind sharp? Do you love puzzles? How about fish?

©iStockphoto.com/ AarStudio

Replies

• letstalk747
    July 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM

i do crosswords , ,,,and fish

• AstuteMama
    July 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I like most fish, Sudoku puzzles, playing Angry Birds, and very other games on my Ipod touch while I'm busy waiting for my kids or in doctor's office.

• mereinhart28
    July 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I love doing puzzles, Sudoku is my fav! 

• LifeCafe42
    July 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    I walk at lunch it clears my head
  • mom2jessnky
    July 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I love Fish.

I play tons of word games and do puzzles. DH refuses to play scrabble or boggle with me because I wipe the floor with him. I love to read, I would rather read than go out most days.

• lizzig
    by lizzig
    July 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

don't eat fish, love puzzles though

• fraujones
    July 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I'm a bookworm and I also love Words with Friends. 

• powow65
    by powow65
    July 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    I do eat walnuts. I do read
  • Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    July 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    I need sleep! Don't get much sleep at all.

I do like fish, I steal DF's crossword puzzles..lol
  • bether89
    July 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I love to do puzzle games.  I do not like fish much though.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts