AmyKuras
Smarter Mom: Keep Those Kids Watered!
July 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

With record heat gripping most of the country, it's important to make sure your kids stay safe in the heat.  One of the biggest worries is dehydration...while healthy kids who eat and drink normally are unlikely to get seriously ill from it, even a little bit of minor dehydration can make these hot days even more unpleasant. Getting enough water helps your body regulate its temperature, and when you're sweating through your days you need to replenish that water more than usual.

Kids ages 4 to 8 need 1.3 liters of water a day...in other words, a little more than five cups. Older kids need a little more than two liters per day. That counts all sources of liquid, though, including from water-rich fruits and vegetables. Aim for a fruit and a veggie at every meal and snack and at least four cups a day and your child should stay well-hydrated.

It should be water they drink, too, not sugary juices, sports drinks, or soda. Naturally sweetened enhanced waters are OK in moderation (like Vitamin Water Zero or Sobe LifeWater). My kids like it if I add a splash of it to their regular water...it makes it taste good enough to go down easy. A squeeze of lemon or lime, or even a slice of cucumber is good too. And my daughter likes to eat ice, which both cools her down and gets water into her.

How do you keep your kids hydrated in the heat?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    July 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

DD loves her watermelon, apples, grapes as well as ice cold water.  She has a special brita water bottle that we can fill anywhere and it filters it for her.  I know that seems like spoiling but worth the investment when she was stealing daddys bottle.  We just got her a special bottle of her own and she drinks water constantly.

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    July 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM
    They drink a lot of water, some juice and have lots of fruits.
  • Rushn311
    July 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Lots of drinking water and gatorade....

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    July 5, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I make sure they drink plenty of water and they eat alot of popsicles as well.

• Kainalu55
    July 5, 2012 at 5:10 AM

lots of water!

• mommythree0508
    July 5, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    They drink lots of water
  • mom2jessnky
    July 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

My kids love water, gatorade and popsicles.

• DelilahsMom4108
    July 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    My kids drink a lot of water, on long days out in the sun and such they drink gatorade, eat popsicles, or have a lot of juicy fruit...like watermelon or plums
  • Madelaine
    July 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM

lots of water and fresh fruit.

• powow65
    by powow65
    July 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    my DD will STEAL & DRINK our water bottles!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts