HeatherNYC
Smarter Living: 5 Must-Read Summer Books
June 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I love nothing more than a lazy summer afternoon of reading. Who's with me? But my main problem every year: deciding what on my pile of books to crack open first. So many great books are out there....and if you are like me, my reading minutes are few and far between. Here are a few on the top of my list this summer.

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones - From author of The Outcast, winner of the Costa First Novel Award in the United Kingdom and a finalist for the Orange Prize for Fiction, comes a funny, though dark, comedic novel set in1912 in England. USA Today calls it "Downton Abbey meets The Twilight Zone."

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner - She is one of my all-time favorite authors (she wrote In Her Shoes and Good in Bed along with a gazillion other fabu reads), and her new novel is about four women who have to become a family due circumstance and obligation.

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep  by David K. Randall - A nonfiction, fun book on why we sleep and how sleep works...why it doesn't come so easy sometimes.

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook -- Pure joy on the pages...and it has "Dancing with the Stars" in it too. From the author of Must Love Dogs, follow Deidre's journey out of despair and heartache into the spotlight of Hollywood. Total fun and fantastic writing.

Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son by Michael Chabon - From one of the best authors of our time, this collection of essays on parenthood from a guy's POV is wry, moving, thoughtful and thought-provoking. A must-read.

What are you reading these days? Or what do you want to read?

ŠiStockphoto.com/LuisPortugal

Replies

• Bradensmommy719
    June 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    A couple of those sound interesting right now i dont have a book to read but i am a little preoccupied with something else.
  • KristinRox
    June 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM
    I seen then came you at walmart the other day. I was going to get it but chose a different book instead. All things hidden is the title, i believe.
  • midnghtsprnkle
    June 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM

im more into something that will make me laugh.

• aneela
    by aneela
    June 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

sad to sad i dont read too many books apart from kids books to my son LOL

• lasombrs
    June 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM

with 2 little ones under 3 I dont have time to read a lot

• daerca574
    June 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I don't read as often as I should!

• elasmimi
    June 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I am currently only reading free books from Amazon for Kindle. They have new ones ever day, including lots of good kids books.

• SweetLuci
    June 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Thanks for the recommendations

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    June 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I am reading any book I can that is centered around the Amish.  Those are my favorite kind of books to read.  Although, I do want to read Flowers in the Attic.

• GypsiSky
    June 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Not much free time for reading these days (which is great)... But I do have a few on my future reading list.