HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: Stretch and Smile
June 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You schlep kids' backpacks, that purse that seems to spawn juice bottles and permission forms, groceries bags and sometimes, too pooped to walk kiddos. At the end of the day or even in the middle of a hectic morning, your body needs a break to keep it healthy. Enter the stretch. A few quick poses and pulls of our limbs can make any mom's back (and arms and legs and belly buttons) feel like they can face the rest of the day.

Try a few of these and let me know if you can tell a difference. For all of them, hold the pose for at least a minute, if not more, breathing slowly in for five through your nose and out for five from your mouth.

Cat Back Stretch - Stand and clasp your hands in front of you with your arms straight out. Round your back as your press forward in the air.

Hug It out Stretch - Lie on the floor on your back. Pull both knees to your chest, wrapping your arms around them. Breath deeply with this one.

Weird Soccer Move Stretch - Still on the floor, with knees bent. Extend one leg up and place you hands behind that leg's knee and pull it toward you. Switch legs.

Share your favorite stretch with the rest of us!

©iStockphoto.com/Yuri­_Arcurs

Replies

• midnghtsprnkle
    June 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Thanks Ill try it at work later today.

• powow65
    by powow65
    June 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    i have none, but once i get my laptop back i'll look something up.
  • fraujones
    June 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I do the Cat Back Stretch a lot. 

• jerzeetomato
    June 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I definitely need to stretch more throughout the day.

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    June 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I will have to try some of these.

• wandep
    by wandep
    Pam
    June 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Curves has a great machine for stretching....I love doing that. :)

• charlene_kyle
    June 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I will have to try some of those =)

• Luvmybooskies
    June 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I always have my hubby stretch me lol. I hug him and he leans back, which stretches me out.

• lil_mama06
    June 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I should stretch more..What is schelping?...I heard it on Desperate Housewifes once too..

• lizzig
    by lizzig
    June 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

of those three i can only do the cat back stretch.  i used to take yoga but quit when my back started bothering me too much.  i have a compressed disk in my lower back from a car accident years ago & since having my daughter 9 years ago anything that involves me laying on my back i can't do.  it hurts to much.  but anthing involving standing or laying on my stomach is fine, downward facing dog, sun salute, etc.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts