Smarter Living

Featured Posts
AmyKuras
Smarter Mom: Vacation Packing
June 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

We lucked into a few days at a house in my favorite beach town (South Haven, MI) for later this month, and I cannot WAIT. Swimming, grilling, beach picnics, sunsets....bring it ON.

Of course, with all that comes packing. In previous years we've gone with my whole family, so I could stash some things in my parents' big SUV....after all, they don't have car seats in the back! This year, it's just us, so we are going to be cramming everything into every inch of our small wagon.

I have a huge tendency to overpack and conveniently forget they actually have stores there if we run out of sunblock or break a flip-flop. This year, due to our limited space, I am forcing myself to go minimalist. It's much easier because my kids are older and no longer require the pack-and-play, bouncer, etc. And this is also our first year where no one is in diapers, so hurray!

My must-haves are: multiple swimsuits for all so there's always a dry one, a soft-sided cooler bag for beach picnics, more beach towels than I think we could possibly ever need plus a few extra, and sunscreen that doesn't make my daughter's sensitive skin break out in a rash (the rest of us can buy ours there if need be). Games, cards and movies for rainy days, too. After all, if we bring our whole house with us it doesn't feel like vacation!

What are your vacation packing must-haves?

Replies

• jpalmer
    by jpalmer
    June 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    I always pack more then we need...i pack everything but the kitchen sink...and my first aide kit is a huge duffle bag...lmao!!!
  • jconney80
    June 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    We are on vacation now so I know all about packing! We went far away....21 hours so we do need lots of stuff.

I tried to not pack too much but I have two kids 2 & under so we need lots of extra clothes in case. I packed the kids about 7 outfits and 5 pjs. I packed all of my cloth diapers for my youngest. Beach bag with beach towels, sunscreen, bathing suits, cloth swim diapers, cooler for the car, big cooler filled with our meals we cooked ahead of time, toys for the car, books, movies, mp3 players, fruit for snacks, laptop, tablet, phone chargers, car chargers, water ring sling, potty seat, food, and who knows what else
  • jconney80
    June 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    LOLl I packed band aids, rubbing alcohol, and Neosporin.

Quoting jpalmer:

I always pack more then we need...i pack everything but the kitchen sink...and my first aide kit is a huge duffle bag...lmao!!!
  • amyjane22
    Amy
    June 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Sunblock...tons of it.  We all burn so easily.  We also bring plenty to keep the 5 year old busy in the car.

• RutterMama
    June 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

What is a vacation???????????????/

• hfaddis
    by hfaddis
    June 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM

my own bathroom toiletries, comfy/cute clothes, A portable dvd player for the kiddos on the drive there lol. lots of diapers and  extra play clothes of the kiddos, if it's near the water like yours then definitely have to make sure all the boys have their life jackets, our favorite snacks, oh an I know I have to take my pillow and my middle sons Santa blanket, he won't sleep with out it.. lol

• koolkidsmom
    June 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM

My camera and lenses of course.

• koolkidsmom
    June 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

that sounds like me in the old days, always a big cooler with drinks and snacks.

Quoting jconney80:

We are on vacation now so I know all about packing! We went far away....21 hours so we do need lots of stuff.

I tried to not pack too much but I have two kids 2 & under so we need lots of extra clothes in case. I packed the kids about 7 outfits and 5 pjs. I packed all of my cloth diapers for my youngest. Beach bag with beach towels, sunscreen, bathing suits, cloth swim diapers, cooler for the car, big cooler filled with our meals we cooked ahead of time, toys for the car, books, movies, mp3 players, fruit for snacks, laptop, tablet, phone chargers, car chargers, water ring sling, potty seat, food, and who knows what else

• koolkidsmom
    June 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I always took toys for the car. 

• koolkidsmom
    June 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM

At least I didn't have to worry about diapers. 

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts