While summer has so far been beautifully mild, those days of dripping humidity are on the way...and they are no friend to your hairstyle. It can go from sleek and lovely to "bad-perm frizzy" in like three seconds of outdoor exposure. The key is to find casual, cute summer styles that take very little time, let you skip the blow dryer and keep your hair up off your neck.
1) The fake-out bun: If your hair is too short or thin for a bun, pull it up into a ponytail, separate hair into sections, twist them, and secure the ends to your head with bobby pins.
2) The sleek ponytail: Pull your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head with all your hair contained. Pull a section of hair around the ponytail to hide the elastic. Rub a little gel into your palms and run it over your head to secure fly-aways.
3) The tousle: If your hair is wavy and short-ish, sometimes just working with the texture is the best thing you can do. When hair is wet, run an anti-frizz serum through it and scrunch with your fingers to encourage waves. When it's dry melt a little styling pomade between your palms, flip your hair over and run the pomade through the roots at the crown. Flip back up and play with it, using more pomade if need be, until it looks like you've just woken up from a great sleep (dream on, right?).
4) The curls: Starting with wet hair, apply a curl-enhancing spray, gel or mousse. Twist your hair util it twists back around on itself and wrap ends around; pin to secure. Use small sections and do this all over your head. Let dry, unpin and you'll have gorgeous waves.
5) The fishtail braid: This is a super-popular style right now, although its best for thick hair...luckily that's the hair type most likely to need some containment in the heat. Gather your hair to the side or back of your head and divide into two sections. Hold both sections in one hand (use your pointer to separate them) and take a little hair from the outside of one section. Pull that over to the other half and add it to the inside of the other section, then do the same with the second section. Continue until you're at the end. The nice thing is, the messier this looks, the better.
What's your go-to summer hairstyle?
by mik1of3June 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM
We call it the 'exploding ponytail'....it sits high on my head (the traditional pony gives me a headache from hell) and since my hair is mid-length, some of it stands straight up out of the rubber band. The hair at the base of my neck is still pretty short, so I have to clip it up, but as long as its off my neck and out of my face, I'm happy.
June 11, 2012 at 3:22 PMWait...we're supposed to actually do our hair? Damn it
June 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I had short hair last summer..very short. Before that I would just throw it up in a messy bun. My hair is growing out now, but still too short to do that. I may have to try the fake - out bun lol.
by GypsiSkyJune 12, 2012 at 12:42 PMI'm pretty much a tousle kind of girl. My hair is wavy and long.
June 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM
My all time go to hairstyle is kind of a messy bun. I pull it back like a pony tail but don't pull it all the way through the last time.
by aneelaJune 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM
im doing headbands and hats a lot lol
June 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM
I usually have it up in a bun when it's long enough.
June 13, 2012 at 9:43 AMPonytail!
by Karissa_ruizJune 13, 2012 at 10:54 AMPony tail or bun. I have very thick curly hair so it's extremely hard to style