Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter Health: How Many Calories Do You Burn on Housework?
June 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I have to say, it is time for me to clean my apartment. It's been way too long - even the dusbtbunnies have dust on them. Though my abode isn't huge, it takes just a few hours to get it sparkling again...but it's getting motivated to do it that is the problem - same problem I have for exercising.

Then I had a light bulb moment - turn my housework into exercise! I wondered how many calories I would burn doing certain household chores. Check this out:

Doing dishes: 160 calories for every 30 minutes you scrub that dried-on mac-and-cheese goop.

Scrubbing floor: For every half-hour, you burn 200 calories. Be sure to switch arms to tone both arms.

Vacuuming: An hour of sucking up little particles can burn 180 calories. Bend your knees and do lunges to work arms and legs.

Gardening: If you spend 60 minute weeding and tending to those plants, you can burn up to 250 calories - just be sure to sit properly and lift with your legs if you are carrying anything heavy.

Remember to turn on some fast tunes to keep yourself going and try to infuse little bits of real exercise in there too. As you are doing dishes, raise up onto your tiptoes 20 times to work calf muscles or do some squats with that laundry basket. When you scrub that bathtub, reach and pull the nasty grime, flexing your arm muscles.

Before you know it, you will have a clean house and burned some calories!

What housework do you feel gives you a little workout?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Stockphoto4u 

Replies

• momma-flynn
    June 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    I garden every day for 30-45 minutes & use a push mower to cut the grass.
  • amyjane22
    Amy
    June 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Scrubbing floors, scrubbing everything in the bathroom, working in the garden. I also try to do my housework quickly so I can bring my heart rate up to get more of a "workout". 

• tinkerxbell
    June 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

One thing I miss about having a bigger house and wood floors was that I used to crank up the music and dance while I mopped the floor.. With a smaller apartment and carpet, its hard to do that with a smaller space and a vacuum :(

• MixedCooke
    June 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM

yep I do that too!  When I do a quick mop, I put disinfecting wipes on the floor and put my feet on it and skate around the house! 

• Kainalu55
    June 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM

i guess i should start doing some housework! lol  Burning calories IS a motivation.  Cleaning the bath tub gives my arms a workout!

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    June 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM

I would have to say doing laundry and then taking it outside to hang up.

• mrswillie
    June 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I actually use a push mower to get exercise.  We have a riding mower but I like to change up my exercise routine.

• powow65
    by powow65
    June 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    with gardening & sweeping, i do hit the calories to go!
  • othermom
    June 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Vacuming, folding clothes, dusting, and sweeping are all a good little work out

• charlene_kyle
    June 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Laundry. I have 14 stairs to go down to my washer and dryer and then 14 back up to the main floor and then another 14 to the second floor to put it all away.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN