HeatherNYC
Smarter Living: Packing Hints For Your Vacation
May 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It's the end of the school year...which means summer vacation! Are you heading to the beach? Maybe on a trek to visit family? Is this the first trip to Disney World? Or all of the above?

If your household is anything like mine, in days before the trip, you're having a negotiation with those suitcases. How everything you think you - and everyone else - needs for these days away is going to fit in that luggage.

I'm sure you've heard some tricks on saving space when packing - rolling your clothes, instead of folding them in piles, is a biggie that also prevents wrinkles - but try some of these ideas the next time you head out on a trip.

-- Wear your bulkiest clothing and shoes on the plane. If you are bringing a pair of knee-high boots or sneakers, don those for your trip. Wearing that sweater coat can save loads of room in your suitcase for other things. 

-- Bring a shawl on the plane. If you or the kids get chilled, it can act as a blanket (you never know if they have them or not...or how much they may cost extra).

-- Leave the iron, hairdryer, and other items at home if you can. Check with your Cousin Joanna if she has one you can use while you are visiting or call the hotel to be sure they have them available.

-- Look at your wardrobe and pick outfits and pieces that work together with the same one or two pair of shoes. Instead of bring navy, white, leopard print, and mauve sandals, coordinate all of your clothes so they are interchangeable and go with a black pair and a beige pair (or whatever two colors you want). Instead, jazz up outfits with jewelry and other accessories that take up much less room.

-- If your little ones still need diapers and wipes and juice boxes, pack only what you need for the trip, and then buy more when you arrive. Now, if you are going for only two days and staying a hotel, this hint doesn't work as well, but if you are heading to relatives for a week or so, you can save mucho room.

-- If you are traveling and sightseeing and are planning on getting souvenirs and shopping, then toss a packable duffle in your suitcase for all of those extras coming back with you.

-- Spread out the clothes. If you have more than one suitcase, put a few of everyone's things in everyone's suitcases...just in case one gets lots, it isn't all of Dad's clothes or the kids or yours.

-- Bring those lovies with you on the plane - for the same reason as above...take all precautions to guard against those favorite buds getting lost.

-- Keep organized. I love these packing cube-bags from ebags. Each member of the family has their own color, so you know what is where. Or you can grab some Ziplocs in a variety of sizes to store shoes, undies, shirts and the like. Really good for your kid's clothes, so even they will know where their stuff is.

Share your best packing tips! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/kirillica 

Replies

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    May 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I think those space bags would save alot of room in a suitcase and you could pack more if you had those into one suitcase.

• mrswillie
    May 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I think those space bags would save alot of room in a suitcase and you could pack more if you had those into one suitcase.

I just sold a set of space bags

• mrswillie
    May 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I always worry about my clothes getting wrinkled

• momofsixangels
    May 29, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Great tips!

• momma-flynn
    May 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    My parents are thinking about getting those. They are retiring soon & planning a 6 month trip to Europe & trying to strategize their packing.

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    May 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM

That would be so cool to go to Europe!!!!  I hope they have a great time.

Quoting momma-flynn:

My parents are thinking about getting those. They are retiring soon & planning a 6 month trip to Europe & trying to strategize their packing.

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    May 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I am not a good packer :(

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    May 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    Me neither! DF even says I take too much with us when we just visit family for the afternoon! Lol

Quoting amy7243:

I am not a good packer :(

• wendums1229
    May 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM

TFS :~@)

• fraujones
    May 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Pack deo and toothbrush first! Otherwise you might forget them ;)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts