Smarter Living

HeatherNYC
Smarter Mom: Easy Ways to De-stress
May 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Who need a break? Okay, let me rephrase...who doesn't need a break? This whole mommy thing is pretty amazing, but on many occasions, it is tiring and frustrating. Add in everything else Life can toss at us, and we are an army of stressed-out moms.

Everyone de-stresses differently. You may love ice cream, while I may be lactose-intolerant and crave chocolate-covered pretzels. My husband loveslovesloves massages, but I can't stand them...they make me more stressed. Meanwhile, he cannot sit through any sort of fluffy romantic comedy on the Lifetime channel that does the calming trick for me.

Here are five great ways to calm, de-stress and knock down that anxiety!

Long bath -- Really, water and steam, some candles a good catalog or two and the worries just wash off into the tub.

Exercise -- Zumba or running six miles. Doesn't matter what you do, getting moving gets the stress to move out.

Dance party with the kids -- This may seem like an odd one, but turn up some awesome dance tunes and just let loose. Not only will it help you, it will tire out those kids, which means easier bedtime...which is a treat if I ever heard one.

Drink tea or hot chocolate -- Get some tasty warmth into your body. Soothing, calming, yumming (yes I made up that word).

Daydream -- When was the last time you stopped, put your head on a pillow and daydreamed. About anything...doesn't have to be big or small, just let your mind float where it wants to. Taking a break form planning and organizing and taking care of, well, everything for even a few minutes can do wonders for that stress level.

What is stressing you out these days...and how do you de-stress? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ topshotuk

Replies

• Rushn311
    May 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM

decaf coffee definitely helps me destress. I have it almost every night. Sometimes a hot bath is nice too.

• thehickinhickor
    May 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM
    These days nothing i hold it in until i fall apart like i did to.night
  • kjdama
    by kjdama
    May 22, 2012 at 4:26 AM

ugh, I have been that way too... I have not found anything that will help me- no amount of exersise has helped, no amount of warm anything to drink has helped

Quoting thehickinhickor:

These days nothing i hold it in until i fall apart like i did to.night

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    May 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    Health issues have been stressing me out....deep breaths help.
  • brownhoney21
    May 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Quoting amy7243:

Health issues have been stressing me out....deep breaths help.

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    May 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Different things are lately, but I try to stay positive. I love sitting and having a nice cup of coffee, reading a book or coming on CM.
  • Mrs.Pool2Be
    May 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I am going to have to try the hot chocolate when I am stressed.  I do love a good hot bath and sitting in my room with the door shut and a good book always helps me too.

• Luvmybooskies
    May 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

A shower...once they are in bed, other wise it's just more stressful lol.

• ceciliam
    May 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I'm not feeling stressed, just busy with all my sons end of year school stuff.

• proudmommy690
    May 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    i live with stress, so no way to "de-stress"

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts