HeatherNYC
Smarter Fashion: Bright Colors: A Hit or Miss?
April 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I live in NYC. By that statement, well, you may assume that I don't wear a lot of color. I enjoy my all black or black and grey or grey and white or all grey ensembles...you picking up on a pattern? As I have heard people say (more than once), "New Yorkers will wear black...until someone comes up with something darker." It's funny because it's true.

I admit it. But even I, this color-avoiding New Yorker, get swayed when I see those pretty new spring colors in the store windows. Those pops of happiness in color form after the months of winter cold make this mama think, "Hmm, maybe I should get something in bright coral!"

But, an element to NYC living is the high cost of everything, which means this mama is wearing all black and on a strict budget. I have to think about how often will I wear a bright coral or sunshine yellow dress...not too much, and definitely not so many times that it warrants paying a lot of moolah for it. And ladies, I know that isn't the case just in New York.

Everyone is watching the budget these days, and that is why, if I ever do opt for something in color, especially the trendy colors, I do it the way many fashion pros suggest (my all time favorite fashion guru: Tim Gunn). I do it in small ways. Think of getting accessories to punch up the color. A piece of jewelry (like this bracelet from Mango) in the Color Du Jour or a scarf or a handbag (again, digging this bright yellow one, again from Magno). Or, if you do opt for a top like this sassy one from KMart (notice the yellow is trimmed with my favorite shade of grey?), keep the rest basic and neutral, like with dark jeans and a navy blazer.

What color are you eyeing for spring? How do you work bright colors into your look? Share your pics of bright color hits!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ZoneCreative

Replies

• malexander2009
    April 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I am not in to the bright colors

• BeachMommy07
    April 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I like the new brighter colors on somethings like this bathing suit from Bongo found at Kmart:

• thehickinhickor
    April 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

i like off the wall clothes and colors

• RobinChristine
    April 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I love the colors,I bought orange,yellow and hot pink jeans for spring. I will pair them with colorful tops,I have yet to wear them with a neutral

• LifeCafe42
    April 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    I do a lot of dark with a bright color bag or shoe
  • LilMissCupcake
    April 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    i love bright colors
  • elijahsmama09
    April 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    I love bright colors.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups