Smarter Living

AmyKuras
Smarter Mom: Ringing in the New Year
December 29, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Personally, I think New Year's Eve is the most overrated of holidays....Get dressed up and spend a boring evening at a crowded party at twice the cost of any other night out? No thank you....and I hate that in my single days, there was always pressure for it to be the best night ever. So when kids came along, I was very happy to use them as my reason for opting out.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't still have a great time. I have a friend who does a slumber party with another family every year, and another who does a Wii tournament. We do an appetizer buffet and a movie in our PJs, with a champagne toast for the grownups and sparkling cider for the kids when it's time for them to go to bed.

Here are some recipes that will get the party started whether it's glamorous grownups or pajama-clad kiddos in attendance:

Veggie Pinwheels

Sausage-Cheddar Balls

Funshine Fizz

Sparkling Apple-Grape Punch

What are you doing New Year's Eve? Any fun traditions?

Replies

• AstuteMama
    December 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM

These are great recipes thank you for sharing.

• shyannsmomma
    December 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    We are doing pizza and movies at home
  • amy7243
    by amy7243
    December 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    We go to a party at my parents. Always good food and fun card games :)
  • Maries_Mom23
    December 29, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Ok...DH works nights at our county's 911 center and ALWAYS works New Year's!  So, the girls and I have their little "Party" as they call it.  (They're 8 and 4).

I buy paper plates that say Happy New Year's, the cheap little tiaras for them that say the same, this year, we found necklaces at Wal Mart that say it and they got hand clapper things.  I always buy a bottle of sparkling grape juice for them and we make appetizers to snack on all night.  This year, it's a cheese ball, pulled chicken crescents and potato skins.  I also let them stay up as late as they can make it.  Last year, the oldest passed out at 10:30, and the youngest passed out at 9:00.  LOL...

I also hold back a few July 4 fireworks to do in the yard.  A few fountains and sparklers.  

I usually get a movie from Redbox and we snack on appetizers and veg out in my room!

• elasmimi
    December 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

We are making all kinds of munchies and watching kids movies snuggled up with Ela.

• momofsixangels
    December 29, 2011 at 8:21 AM

We are staying home.My neighbors do fireworks.

• erikays
    by erikays
    December 29, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    Thanks for the recipes!
  • fraujones
    December 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Usually I go to a party at my friend's house. She hosts an awesome New Year's Eve party. She's Russian, and New Year's is a big deal to her. This year, I'm staying home with the baby though. 

• lizzig
    by lizzig
    December 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

no traditions in our home.  it's just another day for us.

• mamivon2
    December 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Not sure what we all doing.. I think we might to go to friends house

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts