Smarter Living

AmyKuras
Smarter Style: Do Your Own Manicure
December 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

December is flying by, and things are getting busier every day. With all the holiday rush, it can be hard to actually find time to keep up with grooming to look nice at all the events coming up in the next few weeks! Not to mention shelling out for a manicure or pedicure when there are so many other things to spend money on is a bit of a stretch.

The good news is, if you can carve out a little time you can give yourself an at-home manicure that will rival a salon job. You can even type on your computer or check off your Christmas list while they dry!

According to Marie Claire, here's what you need to know:

Start off by getting rid of any old polish, then file your nails to the shape you like (the fashionistas at Marie Claire suggest a shortish, straight-across nail with rounded edges).

Then soak your nails for a few minutes to soften cuticles, and apply cuticle cream to them (olive oil works well if you don't have cuticle cream handy). Push your cuticles back with an orange stick.

Use a nice rich hand cream on your hands, and then wipe down your nails with a damp cloth or more nail polish remover to get rid of oils and help polish stick.

Apply a base coat (this keeps the polish from staining your nails and helps it last longer). Let it dry for one minute and then apply polish, starting at the sides of each nail and then down the middle. Do two coats and then a top coat (I like the kind that help the polish dry faster, although it makes the polish flake more quickly).

I picked up a couple of new colors lately...one sparkly, pretty holiday-ish red and a glittery dark gray I'll try if I'm feeling daring (or use on my toes, which no one is really seeing in this chilly Midwestern weather). What's your favorite holiday polish color? And do you have any time-saving beauty tips?

Replies

• coffeebeangirl
    December 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    I just got me some cheap nail polish buy one get one half of at cvs plus they were part of the free $10 gifts card so yay!!! I got me some glittery red . a teal blue a clear coat and a glitter one clear.I'm so excited
  • Kainalu55
    December 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM

i'm gonna go withdark  red nails for the holidays!

• GirlWithANikon
    December 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM

nice

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    December 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    I don't like having my finger nails done but my toes are always done.
  • our3
    by our3
    December 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM

No thanks. But thanks for sharing.

• SevysMomma
    December 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I love getting creative with my nails when I have time and ambition. Just the other day me and my sister did fake nails, trimmed, polished, etc. I took mine off the next day they bothered me though lol. I want to paint them for Christmas :)

• lasombrs
    December 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM

my time saving tip is i only wear make up, do my nails, and do anything other then a braid maybe 3 times a year and thats pushing it! lol

• mommythree0508
    December 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Quoting amy7243:

I don't like having my finger nails done but my toes are always done.
  • Madelaine
    December 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Thanks!!

• charlene_kyle
    December 13, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I go and get mine done.

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts