rissa_doll
Mail carrier?
December 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Do you give a gift to your mail carrier? If so what do you give him/her? I never thought about it before until he left us a card and someone told me it is proper etiquette to leave a gift of some kind, so I was thinking I would maybe get him one of those cocoa or coffee sets that comes with the mug...

Replies

• kdgord
    by kdgord
    December 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM

My mom used to give our mailman a plate of baked goods for a Christmas gift when I was younger. It is a nice treat to give them a gift but I don't think many people think to do it anymore. The one thing I do remember about it was that my mom always said they weren't allowed to accept money as a gift. I think anything you do would be greatly appreciated.

• rissa_doll
    December 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Quoting kdgord:

My mom used to give our mailman a plate of baked goods for a Christmas gift when I was younger. It is a nice treat to give them a gift but I don't think many people think to do it anymore. The one thing I do remember about it was that my mom always said they weren't allowed to accept money as a gift. I think anything you do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your input. I thought about making fudge or cookies for him but I know these days people are funny about accepting homemade goods from people they don't know

• NSeni
    by NSeni
    December 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Well, I dont remember my parents ever giving the mailman anything specifically for christmas, but in the winter they would always give him hot chocolate in a styrofoam cup, and in the summer they gave him cold bottled water or a can of pop. this is usually everyday. they still do it all these years later.

also, my dad used to give the garbagemen a case of beer like once a month in the summer- but they aren't allowed to do that anymore. lol

• PrincessZ20
    December 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I leave a little bag of Christmas cookies in the mailbox for her :)  My mom always did it when I was growing up, so I do it now too!  Our newspaper people used to actually bring the paper to the door and put it between the storm door and the glass door, so she'd leave cookies for them as well :)

• ttaylor1998
    December 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I run an online business so my mail lady gets quite the workout at times. lol    Last month I gave her a thank you card with $10 cash and today she will get a Christmas card and a small gift...   most likely a Wallflower (since I have extras on hand- lol).  I think baked goods are a great idea. =)     Had I baked this year, that is what mine would be getting as well. 

• Tiredmom53
    December 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I am from a family of postal workers, my brother, Brother in law, cousin and father all carriers, my husband post master, many people leave them money thats ok, but they much prefer baked goods, or as you said a coffee or hot coco set it comes from the heart.  I am so happy you thought of your carrier, thank you

• BethLopez
    December 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I'm giving my mail carrier an iTunes gift card.  She's about 60 years old, and you can always hear her jamming to Rock Me Amadeus with her little iPod ear buds tucked under her beehive 'do.   I can hear her coming, she plays that so loud.  LOL.  I LOVE it!!!

• Tiredmom53
    December 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Don't let her supervisor find out, that could cost her job.  BYM she will love it.

Quoting BethLopez:

I'm giving my mail carrier an iTunes gift card.  She's about 60 years old, and you can always hear her jamming to Rock Me Amadeus with her little iPod ear buds tucked under her beehive 'do.   I can hear her coming, she plays that so loud.  LOL.  I LOVE it!!!

• MidnightSun327
    December 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I usually give the mail man a tin of home made cookies. When we lived in Alaska, I wrapped the tin in a hand made scarf that was the color of his USPS jacket, lol.
    I also usually give the guys on the trash truck either a case of beer or a tin of cookies.

• Tiredmom53
    December 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM

That is really funny, a customer gave this to my husband this year as a gift.

Quoting MidnightSun327:

I usually give the mail man a tin of home made cookies. When we lived in Alaska, I wrapped the tin in a hand made scarf that was the color of his USPS jacket, lol.
    I also usually give the guys on the trash truck either a case of beer or a tin of cookies.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts