snoopy21276
family traditions... what's yours!
November 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I thought it would be fun to share some family traditions.. maybe a few new ones can be discovered and started this year!!!!!!! My favorite family tradition is well.. gift giving.. with a twist!

I am one of 5 kids, my parents felt it was important for the focus of the holiday to be family giving to each other.. rather then the gifts under the tree ( we got them.. just not that many) I remember my parents giving each of us 20.00 and getting a trip to the store of our choice to shop for siblings! So 20.00 for 4 gifts meant we had to budget the given amount ( nice lesson huh) We were responsible for wrapping and everything. These gifts were opened on christmas eve after church service ( very smart bribery for good behavior IMO)

We still all get together with our kids on chirstmas eve and our families and do this to a degree.. obviosuly our family is grown to a much larger size with spouces and children.. but it is a  tradition we are passing on!

Replies

• Rushn311
    November 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I think that's very cute what you guys do! :)

Our tradition(s) aren't many. We celebrate Xmas Eve, so that's when our children open their gifts from family and us. I host Xmas Eve, so everyone comes to us. I make a big dinner, dessert, gifts, pictures...it's really great!

Xmas day our kids open their gift from Santa in their pj's. We eat breakfast together. Then about 45 minutes before dinner, we hop in the car and look at Xmas lights around the neighborhood, then get Chinese. :D

• Cafe Jenn
    November 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM

What a great post.  I'm going to sticky this post so everyone can post their traditions.

• snoopy21276
    November 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

What a great post.  I'm going to sticky this post so everyone can post their traditions.

thanks :) ever since we have had kids of our own.. we now host the in-laws over for christmas breakfast.. i usualy make homemade waffles and other relatives bring a side. DH and i had first grandkids for his side so no one else had child proofed homes LOL we all know the "fun" of chasing small kids around homes that are not prepped for them! I can't wait to read a other traditions!!

• captaincarebear
    November 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM

After present time, all the extended family comes over for our annual breakfast.  They all bring the sides and my hubby puts on his chef hat and makes omelettes and waffles to order.  I'm the assistant "waitress" making sure all the orders reach everyone in the family.  It's fun!

• kbpegasus
    November 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM

When my kids were little I made a set of Advent Stockings.  Every morning from the first of December to the 24th, the kids took turns hanging one up.  December 25th Santa hung the last one and put a little something in each one of the stockings.  A piece of gum, a marble, piece of candy, a little charm, etc.  When the kids grew up and married, the original set went to the youngest who keeps up this tradition.  I now have a new set for hubby and me.

• turtle07
    November 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM

we always got to open one of our smaller presents on christmas eve and we always got a new ornament each year.. then when we were grown and moved away and started our own family.. our mother gave us all of our ornaments to help decortate our tree....

• NANCJO
    by NANCJO
    November 5, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Our family does the ornament.  Every year each of my children [4 of them] gets an ornament that coinsides with what is going on in their life that year.  My son last year turned 16 , so his ornament of course was a santa in a car, my daughter 14 at the time really did not have anything special going on in her life at the time so she was able to just pick something out special to her so she picked a funky ornament that looked like a lady shopping..kinda hard to explain.  Doing it this way is a little hard for example this year my youngest daughter started band, so I am looking for a flute ornament.  My oldest daughter had her braces removed this year so I would like to find an ornament that shows braces on someone...that one will be next to impossible to find I bet, if you see one let me know!

• MynTop
    by MynTop
    November 5, 2009 at 3:56 PM

The kids and I always make cookies on Christmas Eve or the day before (depending on travel plans) in order to leave them out for Santa!  We also leave him a glass of milk and a note.  Santa always leaves a thank you note in it's place for the kids to read on Christmas Day!

• SanDiegoMaxMom
    November 5, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Since we eat so much candy and sweet stuff leading up to Christmas, we have chicken cesar salad for Christmas dinner.  It's great because I don't have to spend all day in the kitchen.  We have a big meal Christmas eve at my family's and we do this again the week after Christmas with hubby's family...so we're not missing out on a big meal...lol!

We always go on a walk the evening of 12/21 to recognize the winter solstice.  We talk about how this is the shortest day of the year and how every day here after is a little bit longer.  It's an easy way to teach young kids about earth sciences in a way they can understand.

My brother leaves his Christmas shopping until Christmas eve, so someone always has t  go with him...lol!

• pinkykoala2006
    November 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Well our family christmas tradition is we get to open a small gift on Christmas eve. And our big family tradition is we all meet at a relatives house (usually grandmas) and we have a cake and we sing happy birthday to Jesus. Our family loves doing this and all the little kids get to blow out the candles! im hoping to start some new traditions this year with my family. like the new ornament of the kids choice and Pjs as a gift christmas eve!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts