Smarter Living

SuperPickle
4 Christmas Gifts
November 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I get asked about our 4 gift idea alot so I thought I would post it here for those interested in simplifying Christmas!

Every year everyone in the family gets 4 Christmas gifts each representing one given to Jesus, you can also do this in a non religious way if that is not something you practice

Something you WANT(GOLD, something worth gold to you)

Something you NEED(Myrrh, something to address individual talents/hobbies)

Something to WEAR(Swaddling Clothes, usually a couple of outfits and a new set of PJ's)

Something to READ(Frankincense, supporting the spiritual side, books, music, artwork ETC)

This helps us keep in a good budget. Everyone ALWAYS gets 4 gifts, no more or less than anyone else. On years we have less money we just get less expensive gifts , on years we have more cash we can splurge a bit, but the number never changes so no one ever feels slighted.
The kids also get a stocking filled with candy and small toys

Replies

• momof5inohio
    November 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM

This my dear is a awesome idea you rock 

• grace2joy
    November 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM

That is cool written out like that.  I heard of giving 3 gift before to represent the 3 gifts the wise men brought; so we have been giving 3 gifts to each kid each year.    Which in my house is 3 gifts times 6 kids - which is plenty in our house - lol.  I also usually give a family gift - like a game or something everyone can use and stockings. 

• mommaslilman06
    November 4, 2009 at 11:47 AM

i like this idea!!

• mslyricalbedlam
    November 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Quoting momof5inohio:

This my dear is a awesome idea you rock 

• BabyBeans0506
    November 4, 2009 at 2:04 PM

That is an awesome idea!

• momtoezzie
    November 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM

That's a really good idea. I might do this next year. I've already gone Christmas shopping this year and DD already has more than 4 gifts lol.

• L0ve
    by L0ve
    November 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM

We also do this!  I love it and I think it helps keep the giving in perspective for me and my children. Great idea sharing this! 

• KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    November 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Fabulous idea!  Especially for large families where it is harder to buy a lot of stuff for each child.

I love your Halloween costumes by the way! 

• riley109
    November 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

great idea to show what christmas is all about!  

• scleblanc
    November 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Very cool idea, may have to keep that in mind for next year

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN