Smarter Living

darci00
What great ideas for single gift to give a family as a whole??
by darci00
November 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I use to buy gifts for all my nieces and nephews on Christmas and Birthdays. This year I had to stop on the birthday gifts because buying for almost 20 nieces and nephews was getting expensive and out of hand plus I had to pay to ship them since all of them live on the other side of the US. I still do for my one niece and nephew (my brothers kids). Christmas I am planning on buying individual gifts for my immediate family (mom, dad, sis, brother, etc) still. I have a huge extended family and still want to get them something. If I was crafty I would make something but I am not, lol. Also, it would help if it was not bulky or heavy for shipping. It needs to be something for each family as a whole. Looking at a price point of $20 and I need it for atleast 20 families. I use to spend atleast $2000 on Christmas so this would be a nice break. Thank You!!

Replies

• JADIEBUG
    November 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Movie Night in a Bucket is what I do.

Go to a Dollar Store and get a cheap popcorn bucket. Fill it with microwave popcorn, 2-liter of their favorite soda or other drink, movie style candy and a gift card to a movie rental place (I put $5-10 on one). Wrap it up nice and they have a great family night event to do!

• mommybug77
    November 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Board or card games. Some packs of hot chocolate, bags of microwave popcorn, a box or two of candy from the dollar store.

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    November 3, 2009 at 2:04 PM

This is what I'm doing for family gifts this year. My only concern for you, though, is that you don't know what they have locally if they all live far away.

Last year I made soaps. It was pretty darn easy lol.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Go to a Dollar Store and get a cheap popcorn bucket. Fill it with microwave popcorn, 2-liter of their favorite soda or other drink, movie style candy and a gift card to a movie rental place (I put $5-10 on one). Wrap it up nice and they have a great family night event to do!

• BabyBeans0506
    November 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I agree! I love the movie night suggestion. I did that for Sara and her little ones last year. I got a good family themed movie and packed up goodies for them to enjoy while they watched the show.

Some people might not see that as a true gift, but seriously think about it- you are giving them the gift of just sitting for a while and relaxing and enjoying thier loved ones.

If you can't find a family themed movie you think they would enjoy. Go with the board game as well. Because that sounds just a fun! :)

Good Luck!

• rileya82
    November 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Great idea, this is what Iwas thinking!!

Quoting JADIEBUG:

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    November 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Oh that's a good idea! Just pick a movie, instead of trying to get a gift card for them.

Quoting BabyBeans0506:

I agree! I love the movie night suggestion. I did that for Sara and her little ones last year. I got a good family themed movie and packed up goodies for them to enjoy while they watched the show.

Some people might not see that as a true gift, but seriously think about it- you are giving them the gift of just sitting for a while and relaxing and enjoying thier loved ones.

If you can't find a family themed movie you think they would enjoy. Go with the board game as well. Because that sounds just a fun! :)

Good Luck!

• proud2Bmomma
    November 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Considering you are going to have to ship them, I would buy like a Pizza Hut gift card or another take out gift card in their area and send that along with whatever you decided to do for movie night in a bucket.  That way your shipping would be way less.

• mommy2xp
    November 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM

you could do gift cards, or baskets of homemade goodies. the movie idea (although the gift card could be hard, buying each family a movie may get expensive depends how much you wanna spend)

• darci00
    by darci00
    November 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Gift cards I like alot. Do you think $20 to a local grocery store or family store too cheap? Should I up the price? Lots of them have netflix already. I also like the game ideas. I have to check out the game options on line and see what is cool and new. I am on bedrest so most of what I will get has to be delivered.  Thanks ladies!!

• chairhead28
    November 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM

My aunt did this a while ago for our family....(not sure if it'd work for your nephew and nieces though...depends on their personalities I guess) But, my aunt went to a few local charities and donated $100 dollars to two charities and put it under our name as a family...it was a REALLY sweet thing to do! 

Smarter Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN