Recipes for Busy Moms

what can I make
July 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

That a toddler and one just starting to eat solids with ground beef, bacon, potatoes,shredded cheese,eggs, milk, modeled (spaghetti and elbow), pizza sauce, canned tomatoes, all kinds of spices. I can't deside what to cook tonight with those and few other ingredients on hand. 

Replies

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I make my own pizza dough......you can do that and make a pizza! :)

Mac and cheese (depending on the cheese you have).

I think you have everything for scallopped potatoes and you could make meatballs with it.

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quiche: Sub ham for the bacon

Ingredients

3 cups, shredded frozen hash browns, thawed and drained
    4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, melted
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 cup half-and-half
    ¾ cup diced cooked ham
    ½ cup diced green onions
    1 cup shredded Cheddar

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Gently press the drained hash browns between paper towels to dry them as best as possible. In a 9-inch pie plate, toss the hash browns with the melted butter into the plate. Press them into the bottom and up the sides to form a crust. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and starting to crisp. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. When the hash brown crust is ready pour the egg mixture over it and return to the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for about 30 minutes until the quiche is light golden brown on top and puffed.

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Salsberry Steak

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup safflower oil

• 1 large onion, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)

• 2 slices white bread

• 1/2 cup whole milk

• 2 pounds ground sirloin

• 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/4 teaspoons)

• 1 large egg

• 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

• 2 teaspoons plus a dash of Worcestershire sauce

• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 teaspoon cornstarch, plus 1/4 cup for dusting

• 1 1/2 cups beef broth

Directions

1. Step 1

Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 cup onion. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 35 minutes. Set aside.

2. Step 2

Soak bread in milk, flipping once. Finely chop. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup onions, the sirloin, garlic cloves, bread, egg, parsley, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix with your hands to combine. Divide meat mixture into 6 oblong patties (about 5 inches long and 3/4 inch thick). Dust with cornstarch.

3. Step 3

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil, and reduce heat to medium. Cook patties, 3 at a time, for 6 minutes, without moving them. Flip, and cook until cooked through, about 9 minutes. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining patties.

4. Step 4

Make the gravy: Add cooked onions and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to same skillet, and stir for 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high. Pour in broth and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and whisk until broth is clear and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and return patties and juices to skillet, spooning sauce on top.

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Bacon Scalloped Potatoes

My Grandma often made scalloped potatoes for Sunday dinners. When my sister compiled our family recipes we found out that she made them out of a box! She totally had us fooled for years. Here is my “non-box” version of her scalloped potatoes. Oh…and I added bacon!

10 strips thickly sliced bacon

⅓ cup chopped onion

2 tbs butter

2 tbs olive oil

5 tbs flour

1/12 tsps salt

½ tsp pepper

5 cups milk

6 cups thinkly sliced potatoes (peeled)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a saute pan fry bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Chop up and set aside.

In a large saucpan saute onions in olive oil and butter until tender. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until sauce is thickened.

Place half the potatoes in a greased 3-qt baking dish. Pour ⅓ of the sauce over the potatoes and spread evenly. Sprinkle half the chopped bacon. Layer more potatoes, pour ⅓ more sauce and sprinkle remaining bacon. Layer final potatoes and pour remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Enjoy!

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Pizza dough

Ingredients

• 4 teaspoons yeast
    • 2 cups warm water
    • 4 teaspoons sugar
    • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 4 1/2 cups flour (bread flour preferred, but all-purpose works also)
    • 2 teaspoons salt

Instructions

1. In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together the yeast, warm water, and sugar. Stir in the olive oil, then turn the mixer on low and gradually add in the flour and salt. Turn mixer up to medium and knead the dough until it comes together and forms a soft ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, adding more flour (1/4 cup at a time) if needed. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise two hours. Once risen, turn dough out gently onto a floured surface (you do not want to knead the dough here), and divide the dough in half. Press each half into a greased pizza pan, covering the pan and a little up the sides to form the crust. Top with desired toppings and bake in a 450 oven for around 15 minutes or until crust is firm and golden and center of pizza is cooked through.
  • KaylaMillar
    July 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

a breakfast casserole, pancakes egg and bacon, chili...mild form for the children. 

• periwinkle163
    July 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I would probably make spaghetti and meatballs.

• D-Town
    by D-Town
    July 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

You can do pizza skillet if you don't want to do a pizza.

Brown your ground beef and drain. add in your canned tomatoes (undrained) ½ cup water, pizza sauce and pasta. You can add the bacon if you'd like. Cook on the stovetop covered for 20 min or until pasta is cooked.

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

pizza casserole! use noodles (cooked) then layer on toppings, sauce, and cheese and bake.

• KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    Jen
    July 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Cook the pasta and drain.  Add the canned tomatoes and some Italian seasoning if you have it.  Sprinkle with a little cheese.

Recipes for Busy Moms