Recipes for Busy Moms

Kimberly954
Lunches
Kim
July 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

This site is AWESOME for kids lunch ideas!!!! And there are very few sandwiches involved.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/sets/72157601755804789/with/1719666869/

Replies

• frndlyfn
    July 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My dd would not have time to eat half of what that mom packed for their child.  We usually stick to a juice box, entree and fruit or pretzels.

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

She does a huge variety but it doesnt look like much of each thing....just a couple bites. Like half a cheese stick. Or 5 or 6 grapes. Etc. I actually have no idea how long dd has to eat her lunch because she is in preschool but her lunch box always comes back almost empty.

Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd would not have time to eat half of what that mom packed for their child.  We usually stick to a juice box, entree and fruit or pretzels.

• frndlyfn
    July 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

For our school they get 15-20 minutes to eat and then 15 min of recess.  Dd has just recently started eating a whole apple w/o it being sliced so i can add that to her lunch as well.

Quoting Kimberly954:

She does a huge variety but it doesnt look like much of each thing....just a couple bites. Like half a cheese stick. Or 5 or 6 grapes. Etc. I actually have no idea how long dd has to eat her lunch because she is in preschool but her lunch box always comes back almost empty.

Quoting frndlyfn:

• marrionsmommy
    July 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    I do this all the time its called bento boxing...I even do it the night before for a quick breakfast ex.hard boiled eggs, pinnaple, granola, apple sauce. My son asks for them versus a sandwich for lunch. Its so much easier and quicker to eat as everything is bite sized, before I used to send a pb and j sandwich and apple slices and juice box and more than half the sandwich would come home uneaten. My sons a talker and only had 15-20 mins for lunch, after I sent these they would come back empty. Also its helped my son try new foods and me to spark ideas for packing a healthier lunch.
  • PamperButt
    July 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

this is helpful for when my kiddo starts packing lunches! =) thanks! I love it! and it is bento box lunches. Of course bento is more fancy than this but it's a good idea to draw from

• yperez0209
    July 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I can't even imagine trying to do this for five kids. I feed my kids many of the same foods she's including in her bento boxes just not all at the same time :)

It's a cute idea just too much food.

We also buy in bulk so,  I would need a pantry the size of my kitchen to hold that many items. 

• Kimberly954
    Kim
    July 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Where do you buy the containers that look like this?? Wow, seriously, kids only have 15-20 minutes for lunch??????? If they buy a lunch, you wouldnt even get through the lunch line!!

Quoting marrionsmommy:

I do this all the time its called bento boxing...I even do it the night before for a quick breakfast ex.hard boiled eggs, pinnaple, granola, apple sauce. My son asks for them versus a sandwich for lunch. Its so much easier and quicker to eat as everything is bite sized, before I used to send a pb and j sandwich and apple slices and juice box and more than half the sandwich would come home uneaten. My sons a talker and only had 15-20 mins for lunch, after I sent these they would come back empty. Also its helped my son try new foods and me to spark ideas for packing a healthier lunch.

• KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    Jen
    July 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Great ideas!  I'm always looking for new lunch ideas since DD is so picky.  Thanks for sharing!

• marrionsmommy
    July 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    Quoting Kimberly954:

I bought the cutest spongebob bento box off ebay for .99 cents. Also click lock containers from walmart are amazing, the best ever for younger kids 8 and under I would say are those sandwich cointaners from the dollar store. I add 4 silicone cupcake liners and it makes 4 individual compartments perfect for 4 finger foods. There are soooo many bento box varieties its crazy, best thing is to invest in some good icepacks I found a set at tjmax that actually clip inside the tupperware containers to keep everything ice cold. Also I use toothpicks from party city and walmart and skewer the fruits and items on them and its perfect for those containers. I also got some hours devours mini forks and its easy to throw one in there so they dont touch the food directly with their hands (germs in school suck). There are so many ideas on pinterest you could get sucked in their for days lol.
  • marrionsmommy
    July 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    http://m.pinterest.com/pin/189643834278797182/

http://m.pinterest.com/pin/365776800955384401/

http://m.pinterest.com/pin/365776800955384401/

This is what I mean about adding th e muffin/cupcake liners to a regular containers to turn it into an american style bento.

I make these pbandj sushi rolls and put ghem in his box a lot, all the kids love them, so much so his prek teacher asked me to make a class batch for their vday party becuase the kids all loved how cool they looked. Its super easy but so much more visually interesting then a rdgular pbandj sandwich. Which is the purpose of the bento to encourage and stimulate the appetite.

The third one is about the amount of food I would put in for a lunch for my 6 year old, although I dont usually like to put eggs in his lunch since they leave a smell. I would probably put a half a pickle instead.

Sorry cant figure out how to make em clicky.

Recipes for Busy Moms