stephs5isenough
LOW On Cash~I need Very Cheap Meal Ideas Please
April 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I am working to plan our menu for the next couple of weeks but we are in a crunch and need to feed our family of 6 (us and 4 teens) on a very low budget for the next 2 weeks. We can buy one thing of cheap meat if we need to, like maybe a bag of chicken that can be used for a couple of meals. For the most part, I need to just get some good ideas for cheap, meatless meals. Can anyone give me some good ideas PLEASE?

Replies

• ChancesMommy07
    April 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Spaghetti is always a good one. You can make a lot for very little money and its good for at least a day of leftovers.

• cshepard
    April 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Breakfast, pancakes, eggs and/or biscuits and gravy. Spaghetti. Hot dogs and fries.
  • ripemango
    April 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

save the leftover chicken parts that aren't eaten...skin, bones, etc and boil the mess out of it. cook a bag of lentils in that. lentils are like the cheapest things ever. i like to eat chicken w a side of lentils even

if you live in or around B'ham, AL I would be more than willing to bring you guys some food: bacon, sausage, fruit, and rice

• stephs5isenough
    April 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Thank You.  We do spaghetti pretty often.  It is always good.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Spaghetti is always a good one. You can make a lot for very little money and its good for at least a day of leftovers.

• stephs5isenough
    April 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Great Ideas.  Thank You.

Quoting cshepard:

Breakfast, pancakes, eggs and/or biscuits and gravy. Spaghetti. Hot dogs and fries.

• stephs5isenough
    April 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Thank You for the idea as well as the offer.  We'll be fine.   We're just feeling the stress and my husband is just telling me once again how I need to plan really cheap meals. 

Quoting ripemango:

save the leftover chicken parts that aren't eaten...skin, bones, etc and boil the mess out of it. cook a bag of lentils in that. lentils are like the cheapest things ever. i like to eat chicken w a side of lentils even

if you live in or around B'ham, AL I would be more than willing to bring you guys some food: bacon, sausage, fruit, and rice

• The_Doodle
    April 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Lentil tacos are good. We've used this recipe a lot. It's good with hard or soft shell.

• ripemango
    April 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

we're frugal and sometimes have to pinch more than other times. we are a big believer in dry beans. also, find out when your local grocery store puts the meat on sale. We know that they put the meat on sale @ our local place @ 7 am Tuesday morning. DH is always there at that time to snag us a deal. I think he gets high off of it really. We dined liked kings last week on a pauper's pay: he got steaks, pork butt steaks, and hamburger meat for a really good deal last week.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Thank You for the idea as well as the offer.  We'll be fine.   We're just feeling the stress and my husband is just telling me once again how I need to plan really cheap meals. 

Quoting ripemango:

• michiganmom116
    April 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Pinto beans are pretty versatile, as are lentils.  Buy the bags of dry beans/lentils.  Cook up the whole bag of pinto beans and make some refried beans (taco filling), baked beans, taco soup (add 29 oz. can of tomatoes, can of whole corn, homemade taco seasoning, can of green chilies) with cornbread or biscuits, pork (leftover ham or bacon) and beans.  Lentils can be cooked, lightly mashed, and used as sloppy joe filling with some from scratch ingredients.  Lentil & veggie soup is good & filling.

Spaghetti, maybe even cut up some hot dogs in it.  You can also use hot dogs in corn dog muffins, hot dogs & noodles skillet meal, hot dogs & potatoes skillet meal (cook cubed potatoes in a fry pan with onion and seasonings, add hot dogs to saute the last few minutes).

Tuna:  Tuna macaroni salad is pretty filling.  Creamed tuna over toast or biscuits.  Tuna patties.

Eggs:  egg bakes will stretch a few eggs to meet multiple appetites.  creamed eggs over toast. 

• cshepard
    April 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Also maybe tuna salad or tuna on a salad. You can usually get tuna on sale. Egg salad. Grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Great Ideas.  Thank You.

Quoting cshepard:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN