Recipes for Busy Moms

mylilprincesses
Chocolate Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars
February 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

INGREDIENTS:

1½ cups rolled oats (use gluten-free if desired)
¼ cup flax seed meal
⅛ cup chia seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup cashews
½ cup almonds
½ cup agave nectar
1 cup natural peanut butter (or nut butter of choice – I used almond butter)
½ cup vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Mini Chips are gluten-free)

Feel free to substitute your favorite nuts/seeds for any you don’t have on hand or don’t like. You could sub dried fruit for chocolate chips, too.

STEP 1
Line an 8×8 (or similar size) pan or baking dish with parchment paper. Leave extra on the sides to use as handles for removing the bars later.

STEP 2
In a large bowl, combine the oats, flax seed meal, seeds and nuts; mix thoroughly.

STEP 3
Add agave nectar to the mixture and stir until well coated.

STEP 4
Add peanut butter (or other nut butter) to the mixture and mix until well combined.

STEP 5
Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan/baking dish and press firmly until it is evenly distributed. Original recipe instructs to allow mixture to then sit overnight (to firm up) before cutting into bars. As I mentioned, I’m not that patient. I put mine in the freezer for an hour or so and it seemed to work just fine.

STEP 6
Using the parchment paper handles, remove the entire block from pan/baking dish, then cut into bars. See how nice and even mine are? Oops. If I could have a do-over, I would cut it into 16 bars. There’s always next time.

I found that the bars start to lose their firmness if left out for too long. Best to store them in the freezer (in my opinion).

When storing the bars in a container, place a sheet of parchment paper between the layers to avoid bars sticking together.

http://86lemons.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-breakfast-bars/

Replies

Recipes for Busy Moms