Recipes for Busy Moms

SweetLuci
Ingredient of the Week, December 9: Walnuts
December 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

It is no surprise that the regal and delicious walnut comes from an ornamental tree that is highly prized for its beauty. The walnut kernel consists of two bumpy lobes that look like abstract butterflies. The lobes are off white in color and covered by a thin, light brown skin. They are partially attached to each other. The kernels are enclosed in round or oblong shells that are brown in color and very hard.

While there are numerous species of walnut trees, two of the main types of walnuts are the English walnut, the black walnut, or white or butternut walnut. The English walnut is the most popular type in the United States and has a thinner shell that is easily broken with a nutcracker. The black walnut has thicker shells that are harder to crack and a much more pungent distinctive flavor. The white walnut features a sweeter and oilier taste than the other two types, although it is not as widely available and therefore may be more difficult to find.

History

Throughout its history, the walnut tree has been highly revered; not only does it have a life span that is several times that of humans, but its uses include food, medicine, shelter, dye and lamp oil. It is thought that the walnuts grown in North America gained the moniker "English walnuts," since they were introduced into America via English merchant ships.

Black walnuts and white walnuts are native to North America, specifically the Central Mississippi Valley and Appalachian area. They played an important role in the diets and lifestyles of both the Native American Indians and the early colonial settlers.

Walnut Legends

Walnuts were thrown to Roman wedding guests by the groom to bring good health, to ward off disease, and increase fertility. Young boys eagerly scrambled for the tossed walnuts, as the groom's gesture indicated his passage into manhood. In Rome, the walnut was thought to enhance fertility, yet in Romania, a bride would place one roasted walnut in her bodice for every year she wished to remain childless.

During the Middle Ages, Europeans believed walnuts would ward off fevers, witchcraft, epileptic fits, the evil eye, and even lightning. The Chinese believe crickets to be a creature of good omen, and would often carry musically-trained crickets in walnut shells covered with intricately-carved patterns.

How To Select and Store

When purchasing whole walnuts that have not been shelled choose those that feel heavy for their size. Their shells should not be cracked, pierced or stained, as this is oftentimes a sign of mold development on the nutmeat, which renders it unsafe for consumption.

Shelled walnuts are generally available in prepackaged containers as well as bulk bins. Whether purchasing walnuts in bulk or in a packaged container avoid those that look rubbery or shriveled. If it is possible to smell the walnuts, do so in order to ensure that they are not rancid.

Due to their high polyunsaturated fat content, walnuts are extremely perishable and care should be taken in their storage. Shelled walnuts should be stored in an airtight container and placed in the refrigerator, where they will keep for six months, or the freezer, where they will last for one year. As long as you keep walnut in the shell in a cool, dry, dark place they will stay fresh for up to six months.

A Few Quick Serving Ideas

• Mix crushed walnuts into plain yogurt and top with maple syrup.
  • Add walnuts to salads or healthy sautéed vegetables.  
  • Add walnuts to your favorite poultry stuffing recipe.
  • Add walnuts to baked quick breads or cookies. 
  • To roast walnuts at home, do so gently—in a 200-250°F  oven for 5-10 minutes.
  • Make homemade walnut granola: Mix together approximately 1/2 cup of honey, 3 to 4 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, a tablespoon of vanilla, a dash of salt, and a teaspoon each of your favorite spices, such as cinnamon, ginger and/or nutmeg. Place 6-8 cups of rolled oats in a large bowl and toss to coat with the honey-blackstrap mixture. Then spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 275°F  for 45 minutes. Cool and mix in 1/2 to 1 cup of walnuts.

Do you like to eat walnuts out of hand? Do you use them in cooking? If so, what do you use them in?

Replies

• epoh
    by epoh
    December 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    I love walnuts. They're best in salads, cookies, and our favorite breakfast, muesli.
  • XpectTwins92808
    December 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    I don't eat them mixed in with stuff.

Kids don't like them :/
  • periwinkle163
    December 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I love walnuts in baking, cookies, brownies, quick breads, but I really love to eat just a handful.

• gmadiane
    December 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    they are good in cookies
  • goddess99
    December 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I like eating apple slices with walnuts.

• LOVES67
    by LOVES67
    December 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    Yes
    Yes
  • ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    December 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I became allergic to them after pregnancy.

• delanna6two
    December 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I ate them all the time growing up...my mother always had either walnuts or pecans.

Recipes for Busy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN