Featured Posts
dntbgmeb4cofe
*~ Recipe Reviews ~*
November 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Here's the place to tell us what you think of the  recipes you've tried. Copy, paste, & fill out the form below. Tell us of any changes you made or would make next time. 

Name of recipe?

Rate it 1-10 (10 being the best):

Any changes you suggest?

Any other comments?

Post copy of recipe here:

Replies

• dntbgmeb4cofe
    May 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Name of recipe? Root Beer Can Chicken

Rate it 1-10 (10 being the best): 8

Any changes you suggest? 
    I did put some chicken broth in the dish so the drippings didn't burn.  I left the skin on and did it in the oven instead of grill.  350* for 1 1/2 hr. 

Any other comments?  
    would use less paprika.  I found out through this recipe that I don't like a strong flavor of paprika.

Root Beer-Can Chicken

This is a family-friendly take on beer-can chicken in which we use an opened root beer can to support a whole bird on the grill. The liquid inside the can adds moisture, resulting in succulent, tender meat. Complete the meal with roasted red potatoes and a sweet-tart broccoli slaw.

Root Beer-Can Chicken 
    • YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half or 1 leg quarter)
    • COST PER SERVING:$2.48
    • COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
    • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    • 2 (12-ounce) cans root beer, divided
    • 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    • 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, skinned

Preparation

1. Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium.

2. Combine first 7 ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.

3. Open both root beer cans; pour 18 ounces into a small saucepan. Set remaining root beer aside (in the can). Bring 18 ounces root beer to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and vinegar, stirring until smooth.

4. Rub paprika mixture evenly over chicken. Holding chicken upright with the cavity facing down, insert reserved opened root beer can into cavity. Place chicken on unheated side of grill. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 160°, basting chicken every 20 minutes with sauce.

5. Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can. Carefully remove chicken and can from grill; place on a cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity. Discard can. Carve chicken.

Nutritional Information

• Amount per serving
    • Calories: 371
    • Fat: 15.1g
    • Saturated fat: 6.2g
    • Monounsaturated fat: 5g
    • Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
    • Protein: 35.6g
    • Carbohydrate: 21.4g
    • Fiber: 0.2g
    • Cholesterol: 121mg
    • Iron: 1.9mg
    • Sodium: 502mg
    • Calcium: 32mg

Here are my pictures of my chicken.

Getting started

Ready to carve! It was REALLY                                               

MOIST!  Next I want to try ginger ale.

• KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    Jen
    May 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I made this yesterday for my dad's birthday.  (Black forest cake with chocolate ganache)
    It was FABULOUS!!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107096/forums/read/14092117/Black_Forest_Cake_with_Chocolate_Ganache

It came out very moist and the pie filling gave it an awesome flavor!  The only thing I had trouble with was the ganache.  It didn't harden.  Not sure if I did something wrong or if I just didn't give it enough time to harden before I poured it on the cake.  Either way it was delicious!  I will definitely be making this one again.

• SweetLuci
    May 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM

• MoirasMom927
  • by New Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM
  • Made this last night for dinner & it was absolutely delicious!  Definately a must try!  Thank you so much for posting the recipe!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Barbecue Chicken Delight
    This one isn't a completely new dish for our house, I have altered it with the ranch dressing to make it a new dish. I have made this one (minus the ranch) many times and it's a huge hit. You can eat it like a sandwich, a sloppy joe or on top of rice. It's wonderful any way! The ranch really made so much better though, it's now my favorite way to make this dish.

Ingredients

3-4 chicken breasts, thawed
    Barbecue sauce
    Ranch dressing
    1/4 cup Lemon juice
    Bread, buns or rice
    Optional: orange slices and orange juice
    Cheese slices or shredded cheese

Directions

Pour some barbecue and ranch sauce on the bottom of a crockpot to cover the entire bottom
    Add equal parts barbecue and ranch sauce (or more barbecue sauce for a spicier taste, more ranch for milder taste)
    Pour lemon juice on top
    Add orange slices or orange juice if adding those (optional)
    Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low all day
    The chicken will become really soft and will almost melt to the touch and I like to break it up an hour or so before it's done so that it's like shredded chicken. It tastes great topped with sliced or shredded cheese.
  • KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    Jen
    June 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Name of recipe:  Smothered Pork Chops

I give it a 9.  Probably would have been a 10 if they were a little more tender.  I think they were just slightly overcooked....but still delicious.  Next time I won't let them simmer as long.  Besides that I wouldn't change a thing.

Here's the original recipe (I followed it exactly):

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Group Mod Luci
    • 2 Replies

My family loves this.

Smothered Pork Chops
    4 pork chops, 3/4-1" thick
    1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
    2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups water

This recipe calls for 4 pork chops because that's about what you can fit into a standard frying pan. I recommend you double the recipe because smothered pork chops are so delicious that you will definitely want to have a second meal from it..

In a small bowl mix together seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. Rub about 3/4 teaspoon of seasoning on each pork chop. Next thoroughly coat each piece of meat with flour and set aside. Save all leftover .seasoning for later use in onion gravy.

Heat vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add pork chops and brown on each side for about three minutes. Once your meat is browned remove it from the skillet and allow to cool on a plate covered with paper towels.

Without removing any dripping, add sliced onions to the skillet and cook until browned over low heat. Add remaining flour to the skillet Stir the onions and flour together until golden brown, paying careful attention not to burn .

Add two cups water and stir. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Return pork chops to skillet, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 1 hour. The meat is done when it’s tender. Add additional season to taste if necessary.

• delanna6two
    June 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Rating:  9

Comments:  I tried this crockpot recipe and it turned out pretty good....the meat was very, very tender....I did not cook it the entire time....In my crockpot (which is a 6 1/2 qt)  I turned it on at 1pm and the meat was done around 5pm or so.  I only used about a half cup of peppers and maybe 1/3 cup of onions because dh does like a lot of onions.  I left out the salt too.....

Changes:  Next time I may add another can or 2 of tomato paste for more sauce.....

Crock Pot Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches - chickenrecipebook.com
    3 lbs. sliced boneless chicken breasts
    2 c. chopped green pepper
    2 c. chopped onion
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 c. vinegar
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    3 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

Mix all ingredientsIn the crock pot.  Cook 1 hour on high then reduce to low.
    Cook for 7 - 9 hours until meat is tender. With a fork stir the mixture, breaking up the meat.
    Serve on sandwich buns.

• SweetLuci
    June 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Name of recipe?Garlic Fries

Rate it 1-10 (10 being the best): 9

Any changes you suggest? No changes to recipe, but be careful with the cooking time. They were overcooked-I should have checked them before the time was up.

Any other comments? I'll make them again. They were very good. Here's a photo

KamsOne 

Posted by on May. 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Group Mod - Jen
    •  

i made these tonight with dinner and they were super yummy!

GARLIC FRIES

3 lb baking potatoes, sliced
    4 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp salted butter
    8 Cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp parsley (fresh), chopped
    2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice potatoes (peeled or unreeled) into french fry-like strips. Combine potato strips, oil and salt in a zip lock bag, tossing to coat.
    Arrange potatoes in a single layer on greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning after 20 minutes.
    Place butter and garlic in a nonstick skillet. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add potatoes, parsley and cheese to pan. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.

• OliviaW.
    June 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Dr. Pepper Sloppy Joes.

Rate it: 9

Changes: I didn't use as many onions or peppers as recipe called for cause my family doesn't care for that much of those items. And I used a pound of hamburger with no turkey.

Comments: I had my doubts but it was really good.

1/2 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 pound lean ground turkey
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    2 teaspoons flour
    3/4 cup Dr. Pepper (or regular cola)
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
    1 Tablespoon white vinegar
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 teaspoon salt

1. Mix ground turkey and ground beef together in a large bowl.

2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the meat with the onion and green pepper. Drain.

3. In large bowl, mix all other ingredients well. Pour over hamburger meat in skillet.

4. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve on hamburger buns.

• delanna6two
    July 30, 2011 at 2:26 AM

I tried this recipe for breakfast on 7/29/2011

Rating: 9
    What would I change:  less sage
    What I did different:  only 1/8 tsp. of salt and used garlic powder instead of garlic salt

Homemade Sausage from Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
    http://www.suite101.com/content/homemade-sausage-from-lean-ground-beef-or-turkey-a65552

1 pound of ground turkey or very lean ground beef
        1/2 teaspoon of salt
        1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
        1/4 teaspoon of pepper
        1 teaspoon of cumin
        1/2 teaspoon of sage
        1/4 teaspoon of basil
        1/4 teaspoon of oregano

In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef or ground turkey, salt, garlic salt, pepper, cumin, sage, basil and oregano.
    It will take a while before the spices are evenly distributed, so mix well. Use this as you would any bulk sausage. If forming into patties, keep them very thin, especially if you choose turkey for your main ingredient. Patties that are overly thick may seem too dry, as both turkey and lean ground beef contain less fat than regular sausage.
    Recipe note: Try adding this turkey (or beef) sausage to scrambled eggs or omelets. It also makes a good pizza topping. In addition, try substituting this lean version for the commercially prepared, higher fat varieties often called for in breakfast recipes. Below is a hearty sausage bake recipe to get you started.

• delanna6two
    July 30, 2011 at 2:32 AM

I tried this for lunch on 7/29/2011

Rating: 10
    These were great!!!!  I will make them again.  My dc loved them!
    What I did different:  I used yellow cornmeal because I had it on hand.

Onion Rings - OliviaW's recipe

2 whole vidalia onions peeled and sliced into rings
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup white cornmeal
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    Vegetable oil for frying

1. Cut onions into 1/2"-thick slices, and separate into rings. Pour buttermilk into a bowl. Combine flour and cornmeal in another bowl and season liberally with cayenne, salt, and pepper.

2. Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of 3" and heat over medium-high heat. Dip a few rings into buttermilk, shake off excess, dredge in flour mixture, shake off excess, then repeat, coating again with both buttermilk and flour mixture.

3.When oil is very hot (375°), add onions and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Fry remaining onions in batches.

• SweetLuci
    August 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Name of recipe? 3 Envelope Roast Beef

Rate it 1-10 (10 being the best): 9

Any changes you suggest?   I didn't have any carrots. I added 2 onions, cut into quarters.You could also leave out the vegetables if you just want roast and gravy. I think I will leave out the potatoes and make mashed potatoes next time.

Any other comments? I have seen this recipe many times, and everyone raves about it. This might be one of Barbara's recipes I finally got around to trying it yesterday, and everyone really liked it, especially DH.It makes a lot of such a nice gravy (I served on the side) that next time.

3 Envelope Roast Beef
    1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
    1 envelope dry Italian dressing mix
    1 envelope dry Brown gravy mix
    1 cup water
    2~3 lb. beef roast
    1 1 lb. bag baby carrots
    2 lbs. potatoes, cut in chunks or whole red potatoes

Put the roast in the crock, then mix the dry ingredients and water, and pour over roast and vegetables. You could put in your veggies now(I put them in at the beginning) or wait until 1/2 way done. Cook on low 7-8 hours. or high 4-5 hours.

• Active Posts in All Groups
    More Active Posts
    Featured Posts in All Groups
    More Featured Posts