Original Chex® Party Mix
- 24 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- 3 cups Corn Chex® cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite-size pretzels
- 1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container Yield: 24 (1/2 cup) servings.
2009 © and ®/™ of General Mills
1 Serving: Calories: 146; Total Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Sodium: 365mg; Total Carbs: 19.4g; Dietary Fiber: 1.7g; Protein: 3.1g
November 10, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Healthy Snack ideas that kids will actually eat!
How are they with fruit? You can do a TON of things with fruit - all fun, nutritious and healthy. And if you involve them in the process, they may be more tempted to "taste test" along the way.
Here's one way to start (though not TOTALLY healthy it's a start):
get some plain flour tortillas
brush them with a LITTLE melted butter
LIGHTLY sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
use a pizza wheel to cut into triangles
bake until golden brown
get a bunch of strawberries, hull them and mash them up. You can use a bit of sugar if necessary
get some vanilla yogurt
Serve your "nachos": cinnamon nachos, strawberry salsa and yogurt "sour cream"
Apples with PB to dip or make and APPLEWICH= Core and apple and slice in circles, spread the PB on it and place another apple circle on top, My kids LOVE these.
Sprinkle Mozzarella in a tortilla, roll up and heat, slice in circles, serve with Pizza sauce for dip. You could even let them build their on roll up and add veggies!
Mix cream cheese with mild salsa and use for dip with quesadilla's or tortilla chips.
My kids can be very picky also. Thier tastes change from day to day so it is hard to keep up. I have tried making fruit and veggies fun...and that really seems to work. They eat "ants on a log" which is celery with peanut butter or cream cheese in the middle with a couple of raisins (ants)on top. I have been getting ideas from this website http://familyfun.go.com/. There are tons of cute, fun snack ideas.
Have you tried "ants on a log"? It's a celery stick with PB or cream cheese in the middle with raisins on top, I loved that when I was a kid. Yuummmm I could go for one right now.
I know what you mean about the canned veggies, my daughter will ONLY eat canned green beans, not frozen or fresh. I try to find her the no salt added ones so they are a little healthier (they are the only green veggies she will eat besides zucchini). Here is a fun snack recipe, I can't remember what website that I got it from, but I thought it was super cute.
Lady Bug Crackers
Makes 5 two-cracker servings
- 1 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoons sour cream
- Black paste food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon minced chives
- 10 butter-flavored crackers
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5 large pitted ripe olives
- 20 fresh chive pieces (about 1-1/2 inches long)
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Remove 1 tablespoon to a small bowl and tint black.
Place tinted cream cheese mixture in a small plastic bag; set aside.
Add garlic powder and minced chives to the remaining cream cheese mixture. Spread over crackers. Arrange two tomato quarters on each for the ladybug wings.
For heads, halve the olives widthwise; place one half on each cracker. Insert two chives into olives for antennae. Use tinted cream cheese mixture to pipe spots onto wings.
Cookie Dough Dip Trio
•1 stick Butter
•⅓ cups Brown Sugar
•1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
•1 block (8 Oz. Block) Cream Cheese, Softened
•½ cups Powdered Sugar
•FOR THE SNICKERDOODLE DIP:
•½ Tablespoons Cinnamon
•FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER DIP:
•¼ cups Peanut Butter
•¼ cups Chocolate Chips
•FOR THE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE DIP:
•¼ cups Cocoa Powder
•¼ cups Chocolate Chips
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble. Set aside to cool, and whisk in vanilla.
Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar for 60 seconds. With the mixer on low speed, add in the brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined. Separate into 3 equal parts.
For the snickerdoodle dip, mix in cinnamon.
For peanut butter dip, mix in the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
For chocolate fudge dip, mix in cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
1 (16-oz) container of sour cream
1½ cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 1 store-bought packet)
1 tomato, chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning. Mix with a spoon until thoroughly blended together. Spread in a 9×13-inch pan. Top with lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup water
6 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
½ teaspoon salt (I prefer kosher)
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Parsley for garnish
1. Combine water and lemon juice in a measuring cup.
2. Whisk together the tahini and olive oil in a small bowl or large measuring cup.
3. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.
4. Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt and cumin in a food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula.
5. With machine running, add lemon juice/water mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute.
6. With machine running, add the tahini/oil mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube, and continue to process until the hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
7. Transfer the hummus to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
8. When ready to serve, sprinkle with the reserved chickpeas, parsley, and drizzle with olive oil.
Pizza Bread1 tube refrigerated French bread dough
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 small package pepperoni, about 20 slice
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 cups Newman’s Own Sockarooni sauceInstructions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll French bread dough out and sprinkle with mozzarella (use more or less depending on tastes). Even distribute pepperoni all over the cheese. Roll up as you would a cinnamon roll, tightly and carefully. Move to prepared baking sheet.
Make an egg wash by whisking the egg and water together. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash over the entire loaf. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly.
While bread is cooling, heat the Sockarooni sauce in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
Slice bread and serve with Sockarooni sauce for dipping.
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup or 1 stick butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 8 cups Chex cereal (Rice Chex preferred)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Melt ½ cup peanut butter together with the 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt ¼ cup butter and add it to the peanut butter and chocolate mixture. Add the ½ teaspoon of vanilla to this mixture.
- Put 8 cups of Chex cereal in a bowl.
- Pour the chocolate/peanut butter/butter mixture over the Chex cereal and coat everything thoroughly.
- Pour the 1½ cups powdered sugar into a large plastic bag.
- Add the coated Chex mix to the bag, close the top, and start shaking. If you’re feeling ambitious, you may want to throw some dance moves in just to make sure every Chex piece is thoroughly coated with powdered sugar.
Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips – dark, milk or white chocolate (I chose Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 bag twisted pretzels or pretzel sticks
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup holiday sprikles (optional)
- Using a double boiler, melt chocolate and shorting until smooth.
- Dip the pretzels into the melted chocolate and place on the wax paper.
- Sprinkle with nuts or sprinkles.
- Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
by OliviaW.January 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Spicy Cheddar Snacks
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 bag (6.6 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Cheddar Goldfish®
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the butter, brown sugar, rosemary, oil, honey, curry and red pepper in a medium bowl. Add the crackers and stir to coat.
- Spread the crackers in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Make-Ahead: These crackers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
by OliviaW.January 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Oven Dried Apple Slices
(Recipe can be doubled or tripled by adding more apples.)
4 large apples (sweet apples not tart)
large mixing bowl
Fill mixing bowl with water and add lemon juice (this depends on how many apples and how big the bowl is. Wash, peel, core and slice apples (as thick or as thin as you want) and put slices in lemon water mixture for about 5-10 minutes. Preheat oven and place on lowest setting or 200 degrees
Place wax paper on cookie sheets and spray lightly with cooking spray. Remove apple slices from lemon water mixture; you can either lightly dry with a paper towel or just shake the extra water from apple slices. Place apple slices on wax paper and place cookie sheet in oven and leave the door slightly ajar.
It should take about 4 hours for apple slices to dry. You don't want them crispy but soft middles. You will need to flip the slices over once through the baking process.
Caramel Snack Mix
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white corn syrup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanillas extract
1 cup pecans
1 cup almonds
1 (12 ounce) package crispy corn and rice cereal
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a large roasting pan with Aluminum foil.
In a medium-size microwave safe bowl, mix butter, white corn syrup and brown sugar. Place the mixture in the microwave and cook 2 minutes, or until butter melts. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Place the cereal, pecans and almonds into the prepared roasting pan. Pour the melted butter mixture over the cereal and nuts and mix gently until the cereal and nuts are coated.
Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
As the snack mix is cooling, be sure to continue to stir so that the mix will not harden in one big lump.
Can add dried cherries or cranberries to mix after it comes out of oven.