Trying to Conceive after a Miscarriage

coelmommy824
Very confused at five weeks past miscarriage, please give me your opinions!
November 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hi Ladies,

This is my first time on this group.  I have a question, but will first fill you all in on my experience.  I had my BFP on Sept. 17th and on Oct. 5th began bleeding and had my miscarriage on October 13th.  I did pass my baby in a completely intact sac.  I went in on the 15th for a sonogram which showed that everything had passed.  I then proceeded to bleed until the 20th (for one week after).  There was nothing remarkable during this time.  (TMI) Large-ish clots and heavy to medium bleeding.  The next few weeks were pretty regular.  I had a few days somewhere in there where I had a lot of nipple pain, increased cm.  I knew my body was a little out of whack! 

Well, during this whole time, I was taking hpts at home to keep track and let my mind rest knowing that the tests were getting lighter.  (Contrary to some who say that the darkness or faintness of a line means nothing, I don't agree.  All five of my pregnancies the lines got darker the further along I was...) So, with that said, I continued to watch the lines get lighter.  And they did, every couple days I would test.  On October 26th, I had a test that was neg.  Then on November 30th and Oct. 2nd, I had ones that were extremely faint, one would argue they were neg.  So, then when I got my "period" on November 5th, I assumed the hcg must be pretty darn low.  I had bleeding (which was very normal and like a typical af for me.  The last day of it was November 9th. (so it was a five day).  Well, my husband and I started ttc about a week before my af, and last night and this morning I took a test and they were both positive. 

So, some of my questions are:  Why would I still have faint lines on a test?  Why would my levels be dropping consistantly then now (two weeks later), have a faint test?  Also, can HCG levels rise if something is retained?  If something is retained, would I have other symptoms?  Also, if I had had a sonogram two days after passing my baby, and it showed nothing retained, could they be mistaken? Does my situation sound classic for someone having retained tissue, or someone who just has super slow level dropping, or someone who could be preg?! 

Please if you respond, could you give me answers to what I'm asking?  I have been researching like a crazy woman for the last five weeks, about everything miscarriage related, so I am aware of the conflicting information out there.  I'm going to list my series of events here below.  Thank you ladies for the input!  Reading different forums in the last handful of weeks has broken my heart for others, it has given me hope, and it has confused me even more!  What a hard road for those experiencing these losses and unanswered questions, and patience being tested. 

Sept. 17th BFP

October 11th, ultrasound shows slow heart beat at 80bpm and my hcg levels are at 13,000

October 13th Lost my sweet baby (even got to see him/her)

October 15th, Sonogram showed everything was out.

October 20th, bleeding stops

October 26th (neg test...maybe a fluke.)

October 30th, super faint positive test...

November 2nd, super faint pos, even questionable but on safe side said pos.

November 5th, I get af that seems totally typical. 

November 9th, last day of af.

November 17th, faint positive in evening.

November 18th, darker faint positive in morning.

Right now...confused.

Replies

• Zealand2008
    November 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    I think you are going to drive yourself crazy with the tests. From what I understand even if there is no longer tissue in there your body can go on wild ups and downs with your hormones. It usually take at least 4 weeks to get a normal period and we can bleed in between with what appears to be a normal period. Not that you couldn't be pregnant I suppose but even if you were I would think it would be too early to test. Why not wait another week and then see a doctor to be sure.
  • coelmommy824
    November 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM

So, you are saying that hcg can go down and then back up?  And, you are thinking that I never had an actual af?  I'm just trying to understand how all of that would work.  There is no real solid info that I have found on hcg, other then people's opinions.  As far as testing too early, I have read that people can ovulate during their period, and since a miscarriage does mess up our hormones, I don't see how that could be out of question.  Can you offer me information about hcg going up or down, or did you experience this?  Sorry, just trying to get concrete answers, because what's hard is all this mixed info.  Ugh, life after miscarriages :(

• Zealand2008
    November 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    I know it's very complicated. Our bodies are complicated. It's possible for them to fluctuate because you may have placental cells implanted. That may not show up on us. Also although most women won't get their af or ovulate for 4-8 weeks there have been cases where women have ovulated 2 weeks after miscarriage. That's why I said its possible you are pregnant again but seems like you tested too soon after ovulation. You should relax as much as possible and check again in about a week and talk to your doctor.
  • miasmommy21407
    November 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

HCG can go down and back up but usually it's related to retained tissues. Mine fluctuated up and down until I passed everything. Since you both passed clots and then later had AF I would say it's unlikely that you have retained tissue. The ultra sound, while not always 100%, are pretty accurate in determining if there is any retained tissue.

If you hit a negative test and then later got a positive I would normally say that you are probably pregnant. However, it would be way to early to know based on your AF UNLESS "AF" was actually some kind of hormonal or implant bleeding in which case it wouldn't be too early to tell.

Was your quantitative HCG tested to 0 by your doctor or a lab? Or did you just do the HPTs? Unfortunately the only way to know for sure (and this is per my doctor) is to have your quantitative HCG done 48 hours apart to see if it's rising. Even when I got pregnant 8 weeks post miscarriage (10 weeks when I found out) my doctor still told me she wanted to do the 48 quantitative before she got my hopes up just in case it was left over from the miscarriage.

My doctor did say though that if I had a negative HPT before getting a BFP on one that it was a good indicator that I was probably pregnant again. GOOD LUCK!  

• coelmommy824
    November 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Thanks ladies. I'm still getting a faint positive and went to the Dr. yesterday. He will call me today with my quant levels. I also asked them to check my progesterone levels for the heck of it too. If I hadn't had a miscarriage, I'd be convinced I was pregnant given my symptoms. My hormones are going crazy.
  • Zealand2008
    November 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Let us know what he says!
  • Hannahsjoy
    November 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I think that you should go the your Dr and get a blood test done just to be sure.

• babymine
    November 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    You should call have blood work done. I had a miscarriage in March and was pregnant again in April. I'm now almost 34 weeks. :)
    So its definitely possible to be pregnant immediaty after.
  • JMmama
    by JMmama
    November 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    It is possible you are pregnant. I had a D&C on March 23 and a BFP on April 28. I was 14 weeks when I miscarried so my hcg had a ways to go to come down. My rainbow baby is almost a year now. Good luck to you!
  • kayteebug93
    December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    This and then repeat it 48hrs later

Quoting Hannahsjoy:

I think that you should go the your Dr and get a blood test done just to be sure.

Trying to Conceive after a Miscarriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN