Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Rebecca7708
Uncertainty UPDATED 12/10 UPDATED AGAIN! 12/12
December 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I am 29 years old. I have two boys. Zackary is 4 and Alex is 22 months. I found a lump in my left breast. My doctor suspected it was just a fluid filled cyst but, sent me for an ultrasound anyway. It was not a cyst. It is a solid mass. I go for a biopsy on December 10th. It is an ultrasound guided biopsy. The doctors gave me the step by step but, I want to hear from someone who has actually been through it.

UPDATE 12/10: It wasn't too bad! It's starting to sting a little now that the lidocaine is wearing off. The hardest part was keeping still and having my arm bent up for so long. My shoulder is a little sore now. They said we should have results in 2-5 days. Thank you for your support, ladies! I'm so glad I knew what to look forward to.

UPDATE 12/12/12: This really is a lucky day! The results came in today and my lump is benign! I have been thanking GOD all day. Thank you to all of you incredible ladies for your support!

Replies

• Specialk3190
    December 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Hi...I have had three biopsies done this way.  It really is not too bad.  I had a nurse assigned to me and she kind of held my hand for the procedure.  They numb the area with Lidocaine, so you really don't feel anything.  The worst part is the punch sound that the Doctor's tool makes when they are getting samples of tissue.  

I hope you have good results.  I think that is the hardest part...the uncertainty!  Please let us know how it goes for you.  Good luck!!!

Kim B. 

• Nora_A
    by Nora_A
    December 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I agree with everything that Kim said. It makes a sound like an electric staple gun. It stings a little, and you will probably have some bruising, but it really isn't that bad. 

The waiting is almost intolerable, but it isn't as bad as not knowing. Here's hoping that everything goes well for you. 

• Rebecca7708
    December 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    How long did you have to wait for results?

Quoting Specialk3190:

Hi...I have had three biopsies done this way.  It really is not too bad.  I had a nurse assigned to me and she kind of held my hand for the procedure.  They numb the area with Lidocaine, so you really don't feel anything.  The worst part is the punch sound that the Doctor's tool makes when they are getting samples of tissue.  

I hope you have good results.  I think that is the hardest part...the uncertainty!  Please let us know how it goes for you.  Good luck!!!

Kim B. 

• Specialk3190
    December 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I had my biopsy on 9/22/11 and the results on 9/26/11.  I believe there was a weekend in there, or I would have had them in 3 days. 

• JAYEDEEN
    December 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    I to have had multiple kinds of breast biopsies. The area is numbed so you might feel a slight sting with the needle they use to numb the area. An ultrasound image on a screen then helps guide the needle tract to the area that needs to be tested. You will hear a sound much like the sound of an earring gun. Usually a couple of butterfly strips are put over the entrance area. There can be some minor bleeding. I was given an ice pack made to fit in my bra with instructions on how to use it. You may be left with bruises but they are nothing to worry about. Interestingly enough I was told they never go straight into any suspicious area...they come in sideways to approach the area. I also had a 'tag' put in at the time of the biopsy. This tag is a marker that is placed in the area biopsied so that in the future medical personnel will be able to spot and find the area when doing future mammograms or procedures. It is harmless and doesn't set off any alarms. I just has this done last month. It took three days for results.
  • signingmama2915
    December 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Bump. I wish you well but have no experience.
  • hisirishrose
    December 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Sounds very similar to what I'm going through. I'm 33, 3 children. I found my lump 2 months ago and since I have very lumpy breast anyway I waited to say anything just to be sure it wasn't  "a lump", however the feel of this one is completely different. It's hard and fixed not soft and movable like the others. Anyhow, I was scheduled for an ultrasound but when I went to the women's center they said I needed a mamo first, then if they saw anything they would do the ultrasound. So they did the mamo and as excepted they found something, so they did the ultrasound where they found a cm "mass" with "some" vascular involvement. So now I'm scheduled next Thursday for my ultrasound guided biopsy...Sigh

I hope your results are positive, sending good vibes your way

blowing kisses

• Rebecca7708
    December 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    Good luck to you too! They said they would not do a mammogram because I was too young. They did an ultrasound and then decided to do the biopsy.

Quoting hisirishrose:

Sounds very similar to what I'm going through. I'm 33, 3 children. I found my lump 2 months ago and since I have very lumpy breast anyway I waited to say anything just to be sure it wasn't  "a lump", however the feel of this one is completely different. It's hard and fixed not soft and movable like the others. Anyhow, I was scheduled for an ultrasound but when I went to the women's center they said I needed a mamo first, then if they saw anything they would do the ultrasound. So they did the mamo and as excepted they found something, so they did the ultrasound where they found a cm "mass" with "some" vascular involvement. So now I'm scheduled next Thursday for my ultrasound guided biopsy...Sigh

I hope your results are positive, sending good vibes your way

blowing kisses

• busygramma4
    December 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

So glad things turned out well for you! What a great Christmas Gift!

• Nora_A
    by Nora_A
    December 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM

That is wonderful news. I am so happy for you!

Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN